Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2017, 07:32 AM   #21

Da wir nicht am Meer entlang fahren konnten, mussten wir zur 101 und dann nach Süden fahren. Wir blieben über Nacht in einem Statepark in King City. Dann wollte ich Pismo Beach sehen, denn in Europa gibt es nur selten einen Ort, an dem man mit seinem Geländewagen einen Strand befahren kann. Davor habe ich mir 2 neue Levis Jeans für 43 $ in einem Outlet besorgt. Wenn man bedenkt, dass sie in Deutschland bei 130 $ liegen, ist das ein Schnäppchen. Der Pismo Strand war nett, am Ende aber nichts so Besonderes. Weiter südlich am Strand wurde der Sand tiefer. Da wir keine Luft aus den Reifen gelassen hatten, blieben wir fast stecken. Wir wollten nichts riskieren und drehten um. Einige nette 4x4 waren da unterwegs.

As we could not drive down along the sea we had to go inbound to the 101 and then south. We stayed in a statepark at King City. Then I wanted to see Pismo Beach as in Europe there are rarely placed where you are allowed to drive alomg a beach with your 4x4. Before that I got me 2 new Levis jeans in an outlet for 43 $. Considering they are about 130 $ in Germany that is a steal. Pismo beach was nice wihlest in the end nothing special. Further south on the beach the sand got deeper. As we had not aired down we nearly got stuck. Not wanting to risk anything we turned around. Saw some nice rigs there though.

'10 Lada Niva
'04 Nissan 350Z
'67 Alfa Romeo Giulia
chetubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 07:33 AM   #22

Weiter nach Santa Barbara. Wir fuhren zur alten Mission von Santa Barbara. Vielleicht nichts Besonderes, wenn man aus good old Europe kommt. Aber ein schöner Ort.

On to Santa Barbara. We went to see the Old Mission of Santa Barbara. Perhaps nothing so special if you come from good old Europe. But a nice place.

Das Zentrum von Santa Barbara ist wirklich nett, aber ... ich weiß nicht ... irgendwie künstlich. Ich fühlte mich eher wie in einem Filmset herumzulaufen. Alles schön, stilvoll und retro. Aber irgendwie nicht real. Schwer zu beschreiben und nur meine 2 ct.

The center of Santa Barbara is really nice but … I don’t know … somehow artificial. I felt more like walking around in a film set. All nice, stylish and retro. But somehow not real. Hard to describe and just my 2 ct.

Mein Bruder lebt in LA. Seit sehr langer Zeit. Er ist mehr Amerikaner als Deutscher. Also wollten wir ihn und seine Freundin Cheryl auch besuchen. Timur hatte seinen Onkel seit seiner Geburt nicht mehr gesehen und war anfangs etwas zurückhaltend. Aber umso mehr hatte er sofort eine starke Verbindung mit Isla, Cheryls Tochter. Sie waren sehr süß zusammen.
'10 Lada Niva
'04 Nissan 350Z
'67 Alfa Romeo Giulia
Old 12-03-2017, 07:34 AM   #23

My brother lives in LA. Since a long time. He is more American than german. So we wanted to visit him and his girlfriend Cheryl too. Timur had not seen his uncle since his birth and was a little bit reluctant at first. But all the more he instantly had a strong tie with Isla, Cheryl’s daughter. They were cute together.

Am nächsten Tag war es Zeit, unseren tapferen amerikanischen HayVan zurückzugeben ... Wir mochten ihn sehr. Nicht wie unseren, aber fast. Also habe ich ihn gewaschen und bin zum Flughafen gefahren, wo ich auf einen Freund von John von TontoTrails gewartet habe, der hergeflogen kam, um den Van zurück nach Durango zu fahren. Nach einem Check und einem Skype mit John brachte er mich zurück zu meinem Bruder und weg war er.

Next day it was time to return our brave American HayVan … We got to like it a lot. Not like ours but almost. So I gave it a wash and drove it to the airport where I waited for a friend of John of TontoTrails who came flying in to drive it back to Durango. After a check and a skype with John he brought me back to my brothers’ place and off he went.

Then we still had some nice days in L.A. together with Cheryl and my brother. Thank you for showing us around in your City!

Wir hatten noch eine schöne Zeit in L.A. mit Cheryl und meinem Bruder Chris. Danke Euch beiden für alles was Ihr uns gezeigt habt in Eurer Stadt!

Es war eine tolle Reise mit überwältigenden Landschaften und klasse Menschen.

It was a great trip with overwhelming landscapes and fabulous people.
'10 Lada Niva
'04 Nissan 350Z
'67 Alfa Romeo Giulia
Old 12-03-2017, 08:55 AM   #24

Garage
Great trip report Chetubi. Quite long to read anyway! :-)

Happy that you enjoyod your US HayVan!!
Old 12-03-2017, 10:01 AM   #25

Excellent report! Looks like an awesome trip.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 12:20 PM   #26

What a great trip! Thanks for taking the time to share it.
We visited some of the same places on a trip this past summer. Can’t wait to get back to the southwest area!
What would you have changed about the van if you could?
BUFFALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 12:43 PM   #27

@Buffalo

Thx!

Well .. it was a rented van. Not mine. But hard to say anything bad about it. It was just good!

I am not a big fan of the Atlas transfer case. So not easy to handle. Mine is far easier.

And sure I love my van which is this one:

'10 Lada Niva
'04 Nissan 350Z
'67 Alfa Romeo Giulia
Old 12-03-2017, 01:04 PM   #28

Garage
Atlas transfer case is just great but you've to learn how to use it. When you understand it, there is no better other transfer case IMO. ;-)
Old 12-03-2017, 02:22 PM   #29
Site Team

Garage
Wow I think you've visited more places than I've ever been in my lifetime. BTW your van threw me for a spin... it changed colors.

Great trip report.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:33 PM   #30

Great trip and report, Phillipe. Glad to have been able to meet you three at Overland. You can meet me in Durango and travel with me to the show again next year.

Bob