Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2009, 05:47 PM   #1

47th Annual Desert Safari in Ocotillo Wells, CA

Sportsmobile owners are always looking for a fun place to gather...just wanted to make everyone aware of this event put on by the Tierra Del Sol Four Wheel Drive Club. It's the second largest off-road event in the country..second only to that of the Moab Easter Jeep Safari.

It's being held March 6-8, 2009 in Octotillo Wells, CA, which is kind of in our backyard...be sure to stop in for a visit at Aluminess and say "Hi" if you decide to go! The web link is below...click on the "gallery" for pictures of last year's event.

http://www.tds4x4.com/

aluminess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:48 PM   #2

Been there many times and agree its the 2nd biggest event in the USA.... second to Moab EJS..and always out of control with morons... it's 99.9% jeeps too. I've never seen a SMB there. That's cool you guys are going. I might be game, i always have friends that go and we could take the TJ. I wish it was at Truckhaven like the old days.
2003 Baja Tan SMB EB DYO 7.3 Diesel

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Pack it in Pack it Out>>>> https://www.trasharoo.com
adventureduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:56 AM   #3

Sounds like fun! Will probally go and bring the XR600....
LeadDoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:58 AM   #4
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureduo
Been there many times and agree its the 2nd biggest event in the USA.... second to Moab EJS..and always out of control with morons... it's 99.9% jeeps too. I've never seen a SMB there. That's cool you guys are going. I might be game, i always have friends that go and we could take the TJ. I wish it was at Truckhaven like the old days.
I was just there agin a few days ago.. It was a zoo over New year's and cleared out on Monday. We usually camp away from all the RV's and trailers in the 4x4 Vans.

Awesome location for camping, 4x4ing, dirt bike riding, quads, side by sides, buggys, etc..

I don't see why we couldn't have a SMB gathering there also.
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:09 AM   #5

Garage
Thanks for the warning. I never attend large organized events. I got my SMB to get away from all the loud, obnoxious, budweiser drunk ********. There are enough of them in the cities. I certainly won't drive many hours to see them continually thrash and trash the environment.

Just show me the two track to quiet and solitude.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:10 PM   #6

I'm with you Jeffrey. I don't really enjoy the sound of ATV's when I'm trying to get away and relax. I always avoid those places.
Santa Barbara Ca
Jammyauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:31 PM   #7

Put me down as a "No Go". It's hard enough to find a spot where some cranker doesn't show up with his dirt bike or 4 wheeler or something with no muffler. Usually comes in around dark and proceeds to roar around all night until the meth and Jack wears off. Wakes up, yells at his dog, wife and kids. Saws up the picnic table for wood and leaves all of his trash smoldering in the fire pit when he leaves. Nope. Been there.
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Thwaites
Put me down as a "No Go". It's hard enough to find a spot where some cranker doesn't show up with his dirt bike or 4 wheeler or something with no muffler. Usually comes in around dark and proceeds to roar around all night until the meth and Jack wears off. Wakes up, yells at his dog, wife and kids. Saws up the picnic table for wood and leaves all of his trash smoldering in the fire pit when he leaves. Nope. Been there.
Hey now! Not all of us offroaders are crack head junkies. Sure you will run across a pot smoker or two. You go to a place like that and you are going to find some loud people with noisy offroad toys. My bike don't run very good without the muffler.
I'm going to check-out the venders and do a little riding.....
LeadDoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:37 PM   #9

Garage
Wow, I thought I was being harsh, but Chris nailed it!

That pretty much describes nearly every campground experience I've had.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:40 PM   #10
Site Team

Where have you guys been camping? Yeah I've camped around some yahoos, but for the most part, I've have very good camping experiences. Though I haven't been, Tierra del Sol (TDS) has a very good reputation for a large, organized event.

Herb