Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2018, 09:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
^^ Oh no, if I remember right Point Sublime is one of the ones you can only do with a pretty capable 4wd. We stayed clear of it this past summer because the rangers told us even some 4x4's can't make it.

Wade, great pics! Thanks for sharing. Sounds like an adventure. We love the North Rim as well and the crowds don't so we'll always be back there.

That's a bummer. I would be willing to give it a try if bemerritt and Clif came with me. Have made it through some tricky spots already without 4wd, just have to go a little faster

BenJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:52 PM   #12

Toroweap Point

In mid September I took my 4x4 Sprinter to another place on the North Rim which also has a fantastic view of the canyon and the Colorado River. You get to Toroweap Point by travelling south from Colorado City, Arizona on a dirt road for about 60 miles. You definitely need a high clearance vehicle for the last 4 miles unless you want to hike in at the end. You can stand (more likely lay on your belly) on a ledge and look directly down 3000 feet to the Colorado below. I could have thrown a rock into the river from that ledge! Other things that you can see from Toroweap Point: the remnants of lava flows that once dammed up the river for 1000 years, Vulcan's Throne where some of that lava came from, and Lava Rapid far below, the largest rapid in the Canyon. There is camping allowed near the Point but you need to get an ouback permit. I plan to go back to the "Arizona Strip" in the Spring to do some more exploring.
Merton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 03:36 AM   #13

Garage
VivaLaVida went to Toroweap in January 2015, after a nice snow fall. Despite to wet trail, no need of 4WD but high clearance is requested for the last mile before campground and view point.
I agree, to view is one of the best of Grand Canyon I had a chance to see. It's gorgeous!
I also hiked to Lava Rapid, one of the most powerful rapid of all Grand Canyon about 2,000 feet lower on a very steep and difficult hiking trail. Quite impressive.
The trail to Vulcan's Throne was quite rougher than Toroweap but definitely worth it. Have several pictures but don't want to pollute wadewaydo's thread.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:08 AM   #14

We were just out in that area. We bikepacked the Rainbow Rim Trail in late September. We got a bit lost on some of the forest roads but what a great area to explore. I'll be back for sure.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:34 AM   #15

Toroweap

Thanks for the trip report.

Not to hijack the thread, but mention of Toroweap brought back some fond memories of a Southwest trip we took in 2000. My daughter was 4 months old and my wife and I managed to wrangle 4 weeks of "parental leave" from our respective companies.

We had experimented with using rental vans for camping a few times since we didn't yet own one. For this trip we rented a 15-passenger Dodge(?) van. We pulled out all but the first row of passenger seats, inserted our bed platform consisting of a sheet of plywood stacked on milk crates and topped with a hide-a-bed mattress and hit the road.

Toroweap was one of many highlights of that trip. When we got home, we started looking for a camper van to buy! Here's a link to a short video slideshow, sorry for the low quality images.

https://vimeo.com/294813276
Attached Thumbnails
2.jpg  
YoTerryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:27 AM   #16

Nice video. And nice use of the Bruford soundtrack. I passed the turnoff for Toroweep on my way to do the Rainbow Rim. I'll need to go back to do the drive out to camp there.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:09 PM   #17

We also visited and rode on the Rainbow Rim trail on that trip while staying at Parissawampitts Point.
YoTerryh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
point sublime, trip report