Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2009, 02:53 PM   #21

Re: Advice for lone female baja traveller

here's a few more pics.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2467.JPG   IMG_2477.JPG  

lisajsiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:57 PM   #22

I'd add a snatchblock to go with that winch, and some advice on getting stuck that is more general- remember that airing down, even a little farther is worth the time and opportunity to drive out of your situation. Even if you don't have on board air, I still think it's better to air down and pay the price of driving slowly until the next air source rather than get hopelessly stuck trying to power out of any situation. Even a cheapo compressor will get you by in an emergency where you had to air down.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:58 PM   #23

A SPOT might not be a bad idea, and adding worklights all around the van. Nothing like a gazillion watts of light in the middle of the night to scare things off.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:16 PM   #24

Great looking van. Congrats! What Jage says about air is correct. We got stuck in some seriously soft sand this past trip. The difference in tire pressure from 33-ish (can't remember for sure) to 25 made the difference between staying stuck and zipping right out. The crappy air compressor I had was a little pancake 110v air compressor from Wal-Hell ($40-sh). If You have 110V, then its an option (not a great option, but an option). If going that route, it takes approx 1 hour to air all four back up to 75 +/-. Therefore, buy a locking air chuck (the kind that latches onto the shrader valve so you don't have to squat there filling your tires the whole time). Like this, for example:

Here's a pic of the crappy air compressor I used for this trip. It worked and didn't take up a lot of room. there are much better options out there, but in a pinch...
Old 01-21-2009, 04:02 PM   #25

Garage

Don't be ridiculous. Carry a piece, and know how to use it. Every SMB'er of the male persuasion that I know does.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:03 PM   #26

diminimis has made several comments about calling me for help in Baja. Actually, I'm more than willing to help out anyone here that needs it. We're on the inside which is the wrong side for surfing lisajsiegel, but have P.O.S.T. and willing to travel. Problem is, no phone. You all know how to contact me here if you have computer access. Most folks use marine band radios down here and a CB isn't a bad option either. Problem is, you never know who, or what, is going to answer.
No way are you crazy, at least not for going solo to Baja....
Life is full of chances, take 'em!! You know what they say, and this planet is getting crowded, so if you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:04 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Don't be ridiculous. Carry a piece, and know how to use it. Every SMB'er of the male persuasion that I know does.
Unfortunately that is terrible advice for Baja since you are guaranteed some long jail time if caught with it.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:13 PM   #28

Besides the dogs, and my leatherman, i'm bringing bear spray. I figure if i need anything more than that, i'm screwed anyways.
lisajsiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:09 PM   #29

Let me tell you about spray: It doesn't work on the other person and it just wafts back into your eyes and lungs. In a training, we were required to take a hit of spray and keep fighting. Since a buddy was doing the training, when it came to me, he sprayed me for a long time with Punch II fogger until I took a lung-full (friendship is a weird thing). Burned my face and neck, burned my lungs, but I could keep fighting. Now, a taser on the other hand sucks the fight right out of a person. When I checked, it appeared a Taser is ok down there, but verify this yourself. On the other hand, a camp shovel can do wonders when it comes to ruining another person's day. I took some night vision on this last trip just 'cause. But you know, its safer down there than in the US by a long sight, so no worries (except in TJ to Ensenada perhaps). I've had closer calls in Northern Idaho and never a hint of a problem in Baja. The good foks in Baja are, well, they're just better people than us. DONT DRIVE AT NIGHT ON HWY1!!!
Old 01-21-2009, 05:38 PM   #30

Garage

Who said anything about getting caught!?!?