Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2009, 05:45 PM   #31

Re: Advice for lone female baja traveller

Make sure you don't do any bounty hunting down there either or you'll end up lookign like this:

Old 01-21-2009, 06:13 PM   #32
Site Team

I own "hardware" but the consequences of getting caught with it in Mexico means I won't take it down there. I do own two stun guns which I will probably take when I go.

Herb
Old 01-21-2009, 08:35 PM   #33

Send a message via ICQ to jlrray Send a message via AIM to jlrray Send a message via MSN to jlrray Send a message via Yahoo to jlrray

Same thoughts. I usually travel that way, so it makes it hard for my wife to accept going down there due to the fact, I won't bring it. I think, for the time being, I'll try to go with a group of SMBs/ travelers and subscribe to the theory, strength in numbers - unlike Lisa or others, I don't have an extensive knowledge of baja. although i'd like to.

Joe
jlrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:55 PM   #34

I know someone who got caught with ammo (only, no weapons) in Mex. And it wasn't pretty. Guaranteed arrest, guaranteed jail time until you post bond. Guaranteed lawyer fees, guaranteed you won't do it again!

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:08 PM   #35

Did you buy that van in Big Sur?
Old 01-22-2009, 02:31 PM   #36

For me, its hard to leave "my 'lil friend" behind when traveling to Mexico. However, you must, or you'll be worrying about your behind.

A friend of mine was shot at in his VW when camping along the coast north of ensenada. He beat feet out of there. Really, that's the smarter play anyway. Getting into a fire fight with dopers armed with Kalashnikovs is probably a bad idea.

What's funny, is I don't have a firearm in my desk right now (I have an ASP and other assorted goodies). The chances of someone coming into my office a squeezing a round off is much greater than anything like that happening in Baja. Baja is safe compared to the US (again, the northern front perhaps being the exception to my claim). Hope, not fear!
Old 01-22-2009, 03:54 PM   #37

Send a message via ICQ to jlrray Send a message via AIM to jlrray Send a message via MSN to jlrray Send a message via Yahoo to jlrray

I dont know. We get a lot more news (albeit could be sensationalized) re: mexico, when you see mexico from your backyard.

Joe
jlrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:55 PM   #38

Send a message via Yahoo to Switchfoot

Southern Baja is probably much safer than the US. In the event of a problem, help is often a long way off and justice isn't dispensed in a manner we're accustomed to. We've been to mainland and Baja a bunch of times and never got robbed or had any serious issues. Most all the locals and travelers we've met have been very nice. Speaking passable Spanish helps immensely.

Most of the major surf spots in Baja are now populated year-round by gringos so there may be safety in numbers there. If I were you, I'd avoid the popular surf spots and go for deserted spots away from pueblos because drunk horny surfers can be more of a threat to a single gal than the locals . Always be aware of your surroundings. Only surf where you can have a good view of your van from the lineup (so it's there when your session is over). Don't tie the dogs up. Most locals are scared of big dogs.

I would bring something like a shovel, baseball bat, or machette to use as a weapon if you find yourself in a bad situation.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:11 PM   #39

Send a message via Yahoo to Switchfoot

Make sure you carry some jerry cans for extra fuel. Diesel isn't as readily available up and down the Baja pennisula as gasoline. I'd top off at most every station because you never know if the next station will be out, closed, or out of order.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:18 PM   #40

cool, good advice for sure. i'm hoping seven sisters stretch isn't blown out yet, it's been a few years since i was there, but we had the whole stretch to ourselves the last time. thanks for the heads up on the diesel. I got roughly a 60 gallon tank but plan on bringing containers for an extra 10 gallons.
lisajsiegel is offline   Reply With Quote