Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2009, 12:14 AM   #41

Re: Advice for lone female baja traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisajsiegel
I got roughly a 60 gallon tank
With 60 gallons, I think you'll be fine! I only have a 47 gallon tank, and that seems sufficient for not worrying about bringing an extra gas can with me. (Of course I don't have an external carrier for Jerry cans... and I'm running gas not diesel.)

-- Geoff

Old 01-23-2009, 09:38 AM   #42

Send a message via Yahoo to Switchfoot

60 gallons!? No wrries. I have fuel tank envy, we only hold half that.

I don't know how the Seven Sisters area is now as I haven't been there in years. Beautiful coastline with fantastic point breaks but fickle and the water is like Northern California cold. Needs a combo of the right swell angle and tide to make them work. It's flat there a lot of the time. Bring a longboard and you can surf perfectly shaped micro waves forever. Was lucky enough to catch Punta Santa Rosalillita years ago when it was head high and you get really tired surfing a wave for over a 1/4 mile. Good times.

Dang, all this Baja talk makes me want to go. Who cares if the kids have semester exams..... Seriously, if you keep posting and want company - I'll bet you'll find a forum member or two who would caravan with you. Go, you'll have a great time! Most Baja trips the waves weren't anything great, but its the adventure and scenery that keeps us going back. Don't forget the gulf side, the areas around Mulege and Loretto are amazing.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:51 AM   #43

Switchfoot, you really need to stop now. I want to go so badly right now. That is my favorite area I've ever surfed, even with that 54 degree water. I've also hit Santa Rosalillita area with a head high swell and it is the most tired I've ever been surfing. I almost couldn't lift my Tecate's to my mouth afterwards. There is also a spot in that area that picks up every swell direction and I've never seen it less than chest high. It also holds a big swell without a problem as I've surfed it double overhead.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:04 AM   #44

okay i guess i need to just say that your cold water warnings really dont phase me. I lived in washington state for a while, and spent part of this summer surfing there exclusively. eventually i want to settle down around the olympic peninsula, where i can surf, ski, run, and rock climb all in the same state.

so frigid water temps...not a biggie. If anyone gets motivated, send me an email, maybe we can meet up along the way. i only have a month to be there, at the most - i should be crossing around february 15th and will be in california the week prior.

thanks again to everyone for all the great advice! i've got a big weekend ahead of me to get everything dialed in for my rig. i'm in montana now and heading out next week to make the slow journey south.

Lisa
lisajsiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:02 PM   #45

Send a message via Yahoo to Switchfoot

Gotta love your attitude Lisa. The Pacific Northwest is beautiful, but I must be part iguana because I gotta have more sunshine than occurs up there.

In the pre-Internet days, surf spots in Baja were a closely guarded secret. Now anybody can find the spots.....
http://www.mexbound.com/seven-sisters.php

Sdwindansea - was that spot that caught all the swells Punta Santa Rosarito? Subliminal message follows: you need to go to Baja, do it now, what you're doing right now is boring, step away from the computer, pack the van, and drive...
Old 01-23-2009, 12:11 PM   #46

Good thing they freakin' are advertising where the "isolated" spots are! ARG. oh well. at least the drug war situation is probably keeping the masses at bay.
lisajsiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:14 PM   #47
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchfoot
60 gallons!? No wrries. I have fuel tank envy, we only hold half that. ....
Some backup fuel is never a bad idea, in case your fuel tank gets punctured on a rock.

Reminds me that some fuel tank repair stuff isn't a bad idea. It's kind of a epoxy putty that you knead together, form over the hole (provided the hole isn't too big), and it is fuel resistant. You can find it in just about any auto supply store.

Rescue tape (self fusing) as has been discussed on this site, is still on my list to add to my SMB for on-the-spot hose repair.

Herb
Old 01-23-2009, 12:40 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisajsiegel
okay i guess i need to just say that your cold water warnings really dont phase me. I lived in washington state for a while, and spent part of this summer surfing there exclusively. eventually i want to settle down around the olympic peninsula, where i can surf, ski, run, and rock climb all in the same state.
Oregon's better...Well our beer certainly is.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:11 PM   #49

Send a message via ICQ to jlrray Send a message via AIM to jlrray Send a message via MSN to jlrray Send a message via Yahoo to jlrray

Which brings me to a good point and one that probably should go on another thread...

Surf trip...

A SMB surf trip would be great fun. All this talk about surf as I look out my window makes me itch to go paddle out. At least the surf has been fun this past week.

Joe
jlrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:09 PM   #50

Baja surf trips, ahhh, the best days of college. I've driven to Cabo several times. Get a fishing license and then you can carry a flair gun for "boat" safety.
bridges is offline   Reply With Quote