Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2014, 01:19 PM   #141

Re: Alaska 2014

Many things like to fail when far from home. My converter for the GPS took a dump. I discovered a broken wire in the cable, and if I turn it just so and tape it in place it works just finr. Then the connector for my cellphone charger 'jumped' into my coffee cup. And then it refused to charge my phone. And the backup charger wouldn't work either! Next day, when everything had a good chance to dry out, all was fine.

Maybe a little paranoia is a good thing. I noticed a minor glitch in the idle after a long downhill stretch. Stopped at the Ford dealer and the tech took it out for a long drive and couldn't find anything. I took him out for a longer drive and duplicated the glitch. Long story shortened: I'm sitting in Prince George Motors getting a new injector installed. Maybe late today, maybe tomorrow morning.

So, my concerns cost me a couple of days. I wonder what would have cost to be stuck in Hyder or in the middle of the Cassiar Highway?

Mike

2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:51 PM   #142

Garage

Hi Alaskan travellers

VivaLaVida is actually in Whitehorse Yukon, heading slowly to Alaska. Hope to meet some of you when I will arrive there, probably in two weeks or so...

Safe travel to all of you.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:32 PM   #143

Got the van back last night. This morning it was very reluctant to start and had a Check Engine Light on.

Back to the dealer. Tech found a spliced wire had broken. Probably when changing the injector. 1hour and no charge!

I'm now sitting in Hazelton, BC. Tomorrow, Hyder, Alaska

After putting about 350 miles on it since the repairs I'm feeling better. I'm sure I will sleep better tonight.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Old 06-27-2014, 06:28 PM   #144

"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:36 PM   #145

Time for a status report. We got to Haines ok after a 6 hour wait for an oil change in the ferry (wake at 4 am sunrise, supposed to leave at 7:15, load ferry at 8, first announcement about delay at 11, leave at 1). Now we are at Matanuska Glacier state campground near Anchorage for the night after a great drive from Haines. Tomorrow night at Paul's, Sunday night at the Sprinter dealer for a 7 am oil change, Monday night ???, Tuesday night at Denali (Riley Creek one night, then Tek 6 nights). We heard that Denali had some flooding; hope it will be cleaned up before we arrive.

Our van is running well but I am not. Bad head/chest cold. Stopped at a body shop (medical center variety) in a small town and got an antibiotic. The difference between a medical provider and mechanic is that the provider has healing on her side. If she is wrong and I have a virus, it will heal by itself. The other difference is the bill; this one cost me $5 after dealing with 4 people.

I am posting a few highlight photos from our blog. The mountain/container boat scene is from the ferry; clouds and rain are not always a bad thing! The immature eagle is chasing baby ducks in a beaver pond next to our campsite near Juneau. He never got one because the mother duck made lots of splashing. The grizzly was sleeping in the middle of the warm Alaska Highway, then he stuck around and posed for lots of photos.

David

Old 06-27-2014, 08:40 PM   #146
Site Team

Love the shot of the mountain and the container ship. It looks like a black and white photo contrasted with the bright colors of the container ship and cargo. Beautiful.

Herb
Old 06-27-2014, 09:29 PM   #147

I'm in Alaska! Tok, to be precise. After groceries and fuel I will decide on my next stop.

Dave, last time we were in Valdez we saw a Bald Eagle go after a momma and 7 baby ducks. He made about 10 passes, and we all held our breaths. Momma duck saw him coming and dove under water; the 7 little ones did the same and the eagle went home empty taloned. After the initial scare, it was fun to watch.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Old 06-30-2014, 05:04 PM   #148

We have finally endured a long cell and broadband blackout as we traveled across Canada. We are in Fairbanks waiting for the weather to clear to decide how to travel to Denali. Had a great time in Haines and got to bike the little used Haines Highway, beautiful and smooth! See you all in Denali!
JIM and JACKIE

-light of the morning, looking for shelter in this thunder and this rain

2012 SMB Sprinter, 2500 EB Tall, Brilliant Silver Metalic
12vdc no inverter, 180 w Permanent Solar, 120 w Portable Solar
Queen platform bed
(Delivery Taken 7/23/12) NM 31357RVB
JayBea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:55 PM   #149

Yesterday was running errands in Anchorage. Went to Costco and got my tires rotated, Went to Wal-Mart for some supplies. Went to Lowes to get a couple of screws to tighten a loose backup monitor. After I remounted the monitor, my van would not start.

Wait an hour for a tow to a local shop, Different Strokes of Alaska) specializing in Ford diesels. They got me back on the road in just over 2 hours. Great shop, great guys.

Met up with llamadave for dinner (fish tacos) and spent the night at Paul's house talking until too late.

Today I went up to Independence Mine SP and then to Trapper Creek. Tomorrow??

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Old 07-01-2014, 09:50 PM   #150
Site Team

Garage

What did they have to fix Mike?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote