Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2013, 09:12 PM   #11

Garage
Re: Alaska 2014

I also plan to head to Alaska next year. Probably from late April or early May till fall. But nothing is really planned yet. I put this thread in my favorites to not forget to come back when i will know more...

Old 10-22-2013, 11:06 PM   #12

May or June are hands down the best months to visit Alaska, both weather wise and also because of all the light. By August, the nights are already getting long and the weather, at least on the coast, is rapidly deteriorating.
Dogmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
Hopefully one of the books is the Milepost. Don't leave home (for Alaska) without it.
Mike
I have heard from others that this is a great book, and that a new edition comes out every February.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmobile
May or June are hands down the best months to visit Alaska, both weather wise and also because of all the light. By August, the nights are already getting long and the weather, at least on the coast, is rapidly deteriorating.
I read in "Traveler's Guide To Alaskan Camping" that the rainfall on the coast of south-east Alaska is least in June followed by July and May. Ketchikan averages 7 inches in June. Juneau averages 4 inches in June and twice that in August. I found this book very informative although most of the book covers descriptions of the campgrounds, both public and private.

David
Old 10-23-2013, 09:18 AM   #14

Hi, April and May are usually good months to avoid much rainfall (and tourists) in South Central AK. You will find a lot of snow in the passes above 2,000 feet or north of Willow, AK on the Parks and Richardson Highways. (Roads plowed and sanded if they are not closed for the winter). Overnight temps will be below freezing and the following are usually closed until May 15th or later depending on seasonal conditions (The southern AK panhandle has different winter closures):

Denali Hwy / Edgerton Highway and Hatcher Pass are usually winter closed till June. go to AK Department of Transportation website for updates: http://511.alaska.gov/alaska511/mappingcomponent/index

Denali National Park - open but only the first and sometimes second campground from the highway and limited visitor center hours. The bus system to go father into the park is not operating till the last week of May. So if you want to see the mountain before then, go to Talkeetna for a view. All of the tourist facilities (aka glitter gulch) north of the Park boundary are closed till mid May.

State Parks - most are gated, some are not but will have the pit toilets and water pumps locked and no trash service or firewood. If they are located snow machine recreation areas, they will be open nearly year around. AK State Parks does not have a park open status website

Chugach National Forest (go to the reservations site for campgrounds america) - Portage Glacier is a great campground area south of Anchorage and is partially open if the snow has melted

Most private tourist attractions are closed till Memorial Day. Public attractions have limited open hours.

Kenai Peninsula: Homer Spit camping is open and exposed to brisk weather conditions but worthwhile for the lack of crowds and awesome scenery, but many seasonal dining facilities closed. Ditto Seward, Hope and Ninilchik. There is usually one or two good clamming openings in mid to late May on the Peninsula

You will encounter lots of frost heaves, melt water and some potholes on the interior highways that time of year. Drive with care and enjoy the views.

FYI: Diesel is available at most gas station in AK statewide -except most Shell stations. Cell phone coverage is available on all of the year around open highways, but not the more remote ones except near towns. Rural towns off the road system often do not have AT&T cell coverage -just the local GCI cell service whichl may discontinue Verizon cell service starting early next year. Verizon is anticipated to start coverage on the main highway system in early January. Check your cell plan many charge roaming fees for data and calls in Canada unless you bump your coverage - AT&T charges $25 for a month to include Canada on my plan or .80 cents a minute if you don't.

The Milepost is worthwhile getting for highway travel information statewide but I found the information on private facilities and when they are open is sometimes not up to date due to weather or publication deadlines. Text and map information on many public campgrounds and some private facilities is vague or limited as they are catering to their nearby private vendors who pay for advertising or placement in the Milepost. The Alaska Marine Highway site has some links to nearby public attractions.
Spenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:33 PM   #15

Send a message via MSN to bettyford

I might could meet you in Homer. looks like Im going to be there looking a cabins,

Ron.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:39 PM   #16

Early next year we need to start working on some dates.

Ron, do you know when you will be in Homer? Or is it not a fixed date?

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:20 AM   #17

Send a message via MSN to bettyford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
Early next year we need to start working on some dates.

Ron, do you know when you will be in Homer? Or is it not a fixed date?

Mike
I dont know yet. Im trying to plan it around a Motorcycle trip up there. I will keep you posted.
Ron
Old 11-17-2013, 09:31 AM   #18

I just made our ferry reservations for the Alaska Marine Highway System. I chose dates that had mid-day departure times so we did not for example have to arrive at 3 am. Here are the departure dates and times. Sailing durations range from 3 to 8 hours.

Prince Rupert 3:00pm June 3, 2014
Ketchikan 2:30pm June 7
Wrangell 4:30pm June 10
Petersburg 9:15am June 18
Juneau to Haines 7:15am June 23

We will decide later whether we will drive north from Haines or take the ferry to Skagway. I understand ferries on that leg do not generally fill up and they run almost every day.

We plan to do a lot of hiking and photography at the stops. You are welcome to join us.

David
Old 11-17-2013, 03:30 PM   #19

Haines is a nice little town and a more direct route into Alaska. Skagway has a lot of cruise ships stop, and when one dumps 5000 tourists into a little town all I wanted to do was leave.

The only reason I can see for going to Skagway is if you need to go to Whitehorse and replenish supplies.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:52 PM   #20
Site Team

Garage

Mike are you driving the whole route or do you take a ferry into Canada?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote