Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2015, 10:43 PM   #1

Alaska to Baja and beyond, where now?

I've been on the road for about a month now with the first serious goal of attending the Baja 1000 a huge success. I met up with a bunch of Agile's buddys at the shop, and spent the first two days in Mexico getting immersed in the race madness. I followed Glen and his race Bronco through Tech inspection, and spent some time with him at race headquarters absorbing the scene. Race vehicles of every description were driving all over town, trophy trucks were in line at red lights behind family station wagons. Crowds were massive, and everyone was in a party mood. It was an amazing scene, but a big party at the Horsepower Ranch was happening and it was also where Glen's headquarters were, so I was off. The scene there was race central with a huge stage, lightshow, open bar, plenty of race girls wearing very little despite the cold, other girls getting body painted including a couple wearing little more than paint. The big draw was the induction of Parnelli Jones and Rob MacCachren into the Baja racers hall of fame along with music, food and fireworks. The beat went on most if the night, but in the AM I got ahold of Rally Pan Am, and we agreed on a place to meet and then find a place to watch the race. We ended up in a big clearing where a large portion of the course could be seen. Hundreds of race fans were already there. The night before the race was a massive party with blasting music well into the following morning. There were food vendors and a marching band on hand too. Soon enough the bikes came through followed a couple hours later by the trophy trucks and all the other race vehicles. After a few hours of that we departed to catch up with Ramsey and his group. We met at the entrance to a dry lake bed that we crossed, and ended up in San Felepe for lunch. Since it was a late lunch, we departed for a nearby beach front camp site. The following day, we moved to Ramseys semi secret bluff top camp just off another beach, and after a couple days camped on the beach, we moved inland, crossed the dry lake bed again and ended up in the foot hills where we hiked up to a waterfall. The next day everyone had to head back to work, so I followed them up the Compodre trail about half way where I said my good by as I was in no hurry. The next two nights were spent camped in the desert contemplating the next goal. So far my plan is to head to Anza Borrego to visit the Tapiado mud caves and the Slot canyons after Thanksgiving. From there, I may head to Joshaua Tree, the Grand Canyon and then up to Utah before heading to California by way of other interesting spots. I’m open to suggestions of places to visit, and if anyone wants to join me along the way it would be great. I’ve met a lot of amazing, and fun people and I’m looking forward to meeting more.

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 11:22 PM   #2

Garage
Re: Alaska to Baja and beyond, where now?

It sounds like you had a great time. I was down there for a couple weeks but had to head home a few days before the race. Unfortunately I got a bit sick and went home to recover. I am already planning for next year.

If you end up near Portland I have a level place to park and a shower if needed. I will be far from home from early February to the middle of March.

2001 Van Haus E350 EB 7.3L Quadvan 4X4
1999 Sportsmobile E150 - SOLD
2002 Sportsmobile RB50 7.3L 4X4 - SOLD
dokaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 06:57 AM   #3

Garage

How long do you have to travel?
ert01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 09:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dokaman
If you end up near Portland I have a level place to park and a shower if needed. .
Thanks for the kind offer, a hot shower sounds great about now, but I'm still in Southern Calif. I've got a minimum of 5 more months to travel though, so i'll probably be passing through at some point. Cheers......
Advanced 4wd
Old 11-26-2015, 10:49 AM   #5

If dokoman is not around when you get in the area you can park and shower at our place in Oregon City.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 03:12 PM   #6

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 03:51 PM   #7

If you make it to the Central Coast of CA, let me know. We have some great wineries and some breweries now, the Oceano Dunes, and a world famous farmers market.
Old 11-26-2015, 05:11 PM   #8

Ramsey,thanks for adding those photos, I haven't mastered that yet, but surely there must be an easier way to move and size them without iTunes.
Advanced 4wd
Old 11-26-2015, 09:09 PM   #9

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Jeff, luckily for you the picture of you in the cold pool of water was slightly out of focus or I would have posted it.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 09:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile
Jeff, luckily for you the picture of you in the cold pool of water was slightly out of focus or I would have posted it.
Shrinkage, it's real.... But thanks
Advanced 4wd