Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2009, 07:17 PM   #1

Antelope Valley California Poppy Trip Report

Approximately 31 years ago, my then girlfriend (now wife of 29+ years) drove out to the Antelope Valley, just west of Lancaster, CA to see the wildflowers that grow in that area. After our recent trip to Carrizo Plain National Monument, we decided that another trip out to the Antelope Valley was in order.

A last minute obligation delayed our initial departure from Thursday evening to mid-day on Friday. We took our time getting out there and actually ran some errands on our way. We arrived at the Antelope Valley California California Poppy Preserve a little while after the sun had already set. Arriving late, we saved ourselves $7.00 since the hours of operation were over at sunset. The wildflower bloom varies from year to year and from location to location. Some years it is just okay and others it can be absolutely awesome. It looks like this year is shaping up to be somewhere in between the two with some of the best showings north and northwest of the actual "preserve".

Since we are not big on visiting places where an entrance fee is required (National Parks are one exception to that rule and for that we get the annual pass) we decided to head out into the open area north of the preserve. We found a great spot to boondock and enjoyed the evening from inside the rig. When we got ready to start making dinner, my wife noticed that there was a large bonfire about ½ mile from where we were parked. I jumped out to look while she used the binoculars from inside the rig. The fire was huge and we could hear either gunshots (or ammunition exploding?) or other large explosions. We could also hear voices and either motorcycles or quads running around.

My wife wasn’t really big on the idea of staying where we were and so we decided to leave. While we were heading out via dirt roads, we watched a large explosion occur that sent a fireball the size of a VW bug into the air. Ash was falling where we were about ¾ mile away. I decided a call to the Fire Department (FD) via 911 was in order. They were very interested and after providing the GPS coordinates, we were rolling again. To make a long story short, after the FD called us back, we intercepted them at Hwy 138 and gave them some additional information as to the location. It didn’t seem like they were operating with GPS at the time.

We overnighted at the new Wal-Mart Supercenter in Palmdale and up early to catch the morning light at the wildflowers. We also wanted to check out the scene of the fire in the daylight and see if the FD ever found the fire.

The flowers were on display, mostly a small yellow ground cover and some poppies and small Lupine like flowers. Some years, the poppies are so thick the ground is solid orange. Even though it wasn’t the best time, it was still really beautiful.

Since Friday night’s camp was a bust, we decided to head up to Ricardo Campground at Red Rock State Park. We luckily found a nice spot, settled in with a little mountain biking, some lunch, some reading in the warm sun and then a little nap in the rig. When we got up, I had the bug to run up to Big Pine and then head down Saline Valley Road. Saline Valley Road is approximately 100 miles long and it runs along the western edge of Death Valley National Park. For some time now, I have wanted to run this road. I had plans to do it on my dual sport (BMW R1200 GS Adventure) but never got around to it before I retired from motorcycling. The weather forecast was perfect and I read on the DVNP website that Inyo County had recently graded the road so it sounded like a good time to go.

We topped of the fuel in Big Pine (hardly necessary with 47 gallons but better safe than sorry) and headed up the road to Death Valley. We grilled up some great cilantro sausages and tossed a salad for dinner at our camp on a side spur road. We were up at 5:00 am to air down and get coffee and oatmeal going before we headed out. I had an obligation back at home at 6:00 pm so we needed to roll early.

It is a beautiful place with such varied and vast scenery. The rig did really well and we were glad that we included the trip on Saline Valley Road into our weekend.

In between rigs at the moment.
https://www.overlandtraining.com/ Overland Certified #OC0008
Blackeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:08 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
Re: Antelope Valley California Poppy Trip Report

Hey....those are good lookin' tires..... and the flowers are nice too.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg In Austin
Hey....those are good lookin' tires..... and the flowers are nice too.
Hey Greg, You were the inspiration for the tires. Thanks!

Old 03-30-2009, 08:46 PM   #4

Great report Blackeye. I was sorry not to get over to the Poppy Reserve on this last trip down to the desert.

So what was the real story on the big fire?
Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:17 PM   #5
CJ

Send a message via Yahoo to CJ

Well, our original plan was to go Friday however after being lazy that day we did make it out to the reserve late Saturday. The visitor center was packed so we donated 7 bucks, used the parking lot to have some lunch while we checked out the area on the GPS. There were several roads we could take; all were outside of the park.

We ended up exiting the park with a right hand turn and another right at the first dirt road to the north. This road ended up basically bordering the entire park. Gets fun on the back side of the reserve with some good off camber and slightly steep up's and down's. The flowers were nice too. Actually it seemed strange there were more flowers outside of the park than in. So here are a few pics of the bloom. Ranger said it was not one of the best years and this is about it for this season.

Enjoy!

Old 03-31-2009, 09:57 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Montana
Did you ever find out blackeye?

CJ,

The new Aluminess roof rack looks awesome!!! Whats the box on top?

Ray

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Montana
Great report Blackeye. I was sorry not to get over to the Poppy Reserve on this last trip down to the desert.

Ed and Ray,

I guess I kinda left that part of the story out. Sorry about that. When we looked at the scene the next morning, it was clear that the FD did make it up there. The ground was still very wet and some areas had eroded from the water that they applied. It was difficult to ascertain just what was burned as all that was left was a very large pile of charred, black debris and the brush / trees surrounding the area were all burned as well.

It was a good thing they really put the fire out as the winds pick up out there on a regular basis and eveb though there is alot of green vegitation out there, there is alot of dry stuff too.

CJ,

You guys were pretty close to where we started to camp and the location of the fire. I have borrowed one of your pics to show the location of the fire. It was just over the rise in the hill.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:49 AM   #8
CJ

Send a message via Yahoo to CJ

CJ,

The new Aluminess roof rack looks awesome!!! Whats the box on top?

Ray

That’s actually Two separate boxes one each for bikes. Got a Swiss bike and a Paratrooper that fold. The boxes are for locked storage while traveling. I feel guilty I did not give the credit due to Aluminess for the Rack+boxes and the custom dual box on the back, they did a great job.

OK I'll take some pictures
Old 03-31-2009, 09:16 PM   #9

Nice report and photos!

I was going to go up there this past weekend but according to the reports on the official website I didn't think it would be so colorful for another few weeks. But seeing your photos it sure looks beautiful.

I should be there on April 11th.

Thanks for the writeup.

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellularSTEVE
Nice report and photos!

I should be there on April 11th.

steve
Steve,

Thanks! When you go, you might want to take the dirt road that is at the "T" intersection of Hwy 138 (Ave D) and Avenue 140 West. Just head south into a matrix of fun dirt roads / trails. The flowers look pretty good southwest of the "T" intersection of Hwy 138 (Ave D) and Avenue 150 West. Have fun and report back.

Blackeye