Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2019, 01:07 PM   #1

Anyone headed to Baja this year?

With another Alaska trip completed, it's time for a major service to the van to get ready for the annual migration to Baja. At this time, REF and I are planning on meeting up at some point in November, but no solid date has been set yet. Normally, I like to take in the Baja 1000 (beginning Nov 19th)before spending a few weeks camping on the beach, drinking margaritas and eating fish taco's. At this point, there is no set itinerary, just a desire to see the race and then do some exploring and camping. Any one care to join up?

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:55 PM   #2

I just put in a time off request for the Thursday and Friday before Veterans Day weekend.

We did it last year and missed perfect 82 degree air and 78 degree water by three days. Got blown out by the Chubascos on the Sea of Cortez, but scored light offshore winds on the Pacific side...
We'll be shooting for Gonzaga bay with the southern Seven Sisters area as a backup.

Would love to hook up for a few Pacificos and fish tacos!
DosMars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 01:05 AM   #3
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Not sure of details on our end yet, things are morphing, but we most likely won’t be getting down to Baja until December/January. Plan is to spend at least a few months exploring areas further south this time around.

We made our way out of AK, leaving the fires and smoke behind. It’s a complete mess with fires burning down along the Sterling hwy/Cooper landing area and up north along the parks hwy. We ventured down to Skagway and spent a few nights out at Dyea. We’re currently in the Yukon, outside of Whitehorse, enjoying full blown fall colors.....
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:22 PM   #4
REF

Been picking our way through the national parks in CA, trying to avoid the rain and snow, heading into Yosemite tomorrow.
I think we’ve got a good idea of our Baja plans this year. The fam and I will be looking at crossing the border around January 24/25 and making it to San Felipe as a first stop on our way further south towards Loreto and points between, will see if we can meet up at some point with AT, but we may be on different paths and timing. Anyone else headed down at the end of January?
CCV High Profile Pop Top
Old 12-05-2019, 06:24 AM   #5

Hey Ref,

We have a place about 25 miles south of San Felipe on the road to Puerticitos / Gonzaga Bay & may be there around that time. If interested, PM me for details & directions. My wife makes a mean margarita...

Also, although we haven't driven it since before the hurricane last year, we've gotten lots of reports about how poor the road still is due to wash outs & rock slides. The hour drive from our place to Gonzaga now takes 3-4 hours.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:28 AM   #6

A quick road report

We drove Mexico 5 on our way North in late October this year. The new Highway from Chapala to Gonzaga Bay is maybe 80% complete. They're still grinding their way through the mountains West of Coco's for completion. The hurricane from a year ago really hammered that beautiful section north of Gonzaga to Puertocitos but they are making good progress on it.

North of Puertocitos is getting new paving and they are putting culverts in and filling/paving a lot of the vados that have been a feature of that road for as long as its been there. Actually a ton of progress even since we came through last February.
2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:40 AM   #7

If my plans stay in tact, I will be wandering around Baja from about Jan 8-22 before hopping a ferry to Mazatlan from La Paz to continue south. Would be nice to meet up with other wanderers.

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 10:50 AM   #8

Our plans are still a bit up in the air, but for sure I'll be attending the King of the hammers race the first week of Feb. After that, I'll head South, but may take a detour or two (the Mojave road?) before crossing the border. It would be great to team up with others, safety in numbers you know.............
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 04:42 PM   #9

Looks like I will be down there as well, mid January to Mid a February. If any of you have an inReach send me a PM with your email address and I will send you mine. We should be able to use them to find each other.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 10:52 PM   #10
REF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
Hey Ref,

We have a place about 25 miles south of San Felipe on the road to Puerticitos / Gonzaga Bay & may be there around that time. If interested, PM me for details & directions. My wife makes a mean margarita...

Also, although we haven't driven it since before the hurricane last year, we've gotten lots of reports about how poor the road still is due to wash outs & rock slides. The hour drive from our place to Gonzaga now takes 3-4 hours.

Glen, thanks for the invite, I’ll reach out via PM for details.....I will gladly take you (or your wife) up on a tasty margarita [emoji1323]
CCV High Profile Pop Top