Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2017, 02:25 AM   #1
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Anything not burning?

Planning our fall getaway (30 day) and we put three destinations in a hat; #1Virginia Beach turn North to Ferry/Newfoundl around and back to follow the Great Lakes shoreline (except Lk Michigan) to Superior and South home,
ALASKA -from Iowa to Chicken, AK, Prudoe Bay, back around the State to Homer Spit, heading back to Lower48/Iowa via Montana then East...12K miles of pure fun and beauty,
and finally the Great NW, gems, gold panning, fossil hunting with the EXTRA BONUS of fruits/veggies in season with SEAFOOD!(eany-miney-mo, coin flipping is a way to let fate decide where we are going, adds an element of overwhelming anticipation and excitement to our 'semi-unplanned' trips...I mean you're pretty much taking the same stuff with no matter where we go in our SMB...yes?..anyway) We mixed it up and pulled out the Great NW! So, now begs the question...is everything on fire? ...We plan a week in MT/ID, WA, OR, CA/NV so will be able to see a lot of each state....or should we re-draw? I know there are many West-Northwest members here so any info, opinions, stuff n things would be great...plan to use a lot of the suggestions given a month or so ago when Scotty was planning his family trip and got an overwhelming response and suggestions...Thanks as always for all input! Maybe we'll see some of you members out there!

ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:12 PM   #2

Iowa to Alaska. Been there,done that. Didn't leave. Stayed for 12 years. Would like to go back with my SMB. The drive down into Homer Spit is worth the drive up there itself. On a clear day you can see all the volcanoes across the inlet. Truly AWSOME!!!!
Beasty Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:23 PM   #3

Garage
what areas of Idaho will you be near/through?
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:40 PM   #4

Fires in Alaska have been uncharacteristically low this year.
beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:34 PM   #5
ctb

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
what areas of Idaho will you be near/through?
Hey Shenrie....We will be hitting Ruby Reservoir (Montana) then west on the way up to N Idaho...maybe Bonners Ferry/Sand Point area...we happened upon a out of the way campground up there a few years back, that "even the locals can hardly find"...I am going to include a picture with brown forrest road sign and the view...it was tent camping before Sporty, but we always bring our tent and gear just incase...and we want to find this spot again....and unlike some tighta**es around here...I could care less about "keeping it a secret" b/c i figure if you are on THIS site you must have a shred of decency about keeping things tidy, real, and respectful of camping sites and traveling...and that is all that is important eh! I digress, sorry...then onto Washington....any suggestions would be great! We are VIEWS, gem, fossil, gold panning spots!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1715.jpg   IMG_1720.jpg   fullsizeoutput_87f.jpg   fullsizeoutput_914.jpg  
Old 09-14-2017, 08:18 PM   #6
ctb

Garage
As an update...passed through most of Oregon in the last three weeks...Coast is the only place the smoke is not visible/smell isn't there...poor Oregon, I feel sorry for them, beautiful country just ablaze...stayed on coast most of trip until we slipped down between fires in central WA, E OR, and in Salt Lake City area now...been great...look for a trip report soon!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3064.jpg  
Old 09-14-2017, 08:31 PM   #7

Garage
hey sorry man. i missed your response not much help for nothern idaho though. i have very limited time up that way and absolutely zero camping. someday i hope to change that. i am making mental notes from others adventures...
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:45 PM   #8

The cooler weather in Oregon is knocking down the fires and the smoke here in Oregon. We are currntly on a trip through the cascades and have worked our way around the smoke and fires with ease. These sites are good sources of information on the smoke, fire and road conditions.
Oregon Smoke Information Gives predictions on smoke density for cities around the state.
Oregon DEQ: AQI Shows live air quality in areas you may be traveling to.
https://gacc.nifc.gov/nwcc/information/firemap.aspx Shows the fire
Locations in Washington and Oregon
https://www.tripcheck.com/Pages/RCMap.asp Use th road cameras to see the smoke conditions.

Hope you have a good trip.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 10:26 AM   #9

It looks like the fires are dieing out. My friend is a pilot, flying aerial tankers and he has been sent home after a very busy season. He said there are still a few fires, but the season is over for the aerial bombers. Good news.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:02 AM   #10

If we put a tax on carbon the western States will get a big bill. Too bad we no longer have logging roads that would allow fire trucks to get into the forest.
DCHitt is offline   Reply With Quote