Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2017, 04:10 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to illking
Anza to Guadalupe Canyon

My wife and I took off friday morning from Los Angeles and headed straight for Font's Point, then we followed the washes to Hawks canyon where we crossed paths with @SCMatthew and highfived in passing. We stretched our legs on a short hike thru the slot and then boogied down to Split Mountain. By now it was dark so we drove thru Split mountain and found a nice place to camp in fish creek wash with a clear forecast and no chance of rain. The dog chased rabbits and mice while we set up camp, made dinner and knocked out in the penthouse.

We woke up and hiked to the wind caves and then drove through split mountain. It sure looks different in the daylight When we got back to Ocotillo I aired back up and we headed to the Mexicali boarder crossing.

We drove right thru Mexicali and headed west toward Laguna Salida. This was our first time and were advised to go around the dry lake if unsure of conditions and directions. I aired back down and made our way around the lake bed passed many oncoming caged long travel rigs and other off-roaders. It seemed like a really fun open riding area with some small dunes, dry lake and other various terrain. After about 1.5 hours we got to the canyon and shortly arrived at our campsite.

Each campsite has a private tub with water piped in from the nearby hot spring source. We set up camp, ate some food and spent the rest of the day soaking and unwinding. The next day we hiked to the waterfalls. There are 4 of them from 20 mins to 4 hours in distance. Its a great hike with swiming holes, waterfalls, big horned sheep and native petroglyphs. We hiked all the way to the top where I accidentally flew my drone into the top of a palmtree We hiked back down, cooked dinner soaked some more and watched the stars.

The next morning I woke up to hike the canyon again at 6am solo. I hauled ass up there with a roll of duck tape and made a giant hook by taping sticks together and retrieved the drone undamaged I returned to camp for some more soaking and then we very slowly packed up since we didnt want to leave . The drive home to Los Angeles was pretty brutal sonce the boarder crossing took about 3 hours, we foolishly crosse at rush hour.

It was a great quick trip and I cant wait to do it all over again. Anza Borrego continues to blow my mind and Guadalupe canyon is just paradise. Super lucky to have these types of places nearby.

https://vimeo.com/247043808

illking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 07:28 PM   #2

I never knew that place existed. Looks great. Thanks for posting!

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:57 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage
That is a great little video. I've never been down that way. Looked like you had the place to yourself. Curious, are there any rules for flying drones like here in the US? I'd be a little upset if I lost mine in a tree...glad you were able to retrieve it w/o damage.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:15 AM   #4
Site Team

Part dog, part "vampire" bat?
Old 12-13-2017, 08:43 AM   #5

Awesome video and great pics! Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
That is a great little video. I've never been down that way. Looked like you had the place to yourself. Curious, are there any rules for flying drones like here in the US? I'd be a little upset if I lost mine in a tree...glad you were able to retrieve it w/o damage.
There didn't seem to be any rules. i made sure to only fly when there was no one around to disturb and kept my flights very short. We were the only ones hiking in the canyon that day and the shots of the hot spring were also when we were the only ones there. As much as I love my drone I hate when peace is disturbed by a buzzing drone especially if you forgot your swim suit in the hotspring

Guadalupe Canyon really prioritized the natural experience. No Music, no running motors or generators etc its a very peaceful place.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:51 PM   #7

illking - Looks great! What's the name of the actual camp site?
Botchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:24 PM   #8

Superb video. The pic just under it of you chilling by the fire and top-popped van is one of those iconic SMB shots. You should tag Sportsmobile on Instagram for that one, and it would be really cool if the forum would cycle some good shots like that on the front page like they used to.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:14 PM   #9

Damn nice trip! That place looks awesome!
Long haul from Seattle though. ��
BUFFALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botchan View Post
illking - Looks great! What's the name of the actual camp site?

It’s called Guadalupe Canyon oasis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk