Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2008, 01:41 PM   #31

Scatter, we still plan on raining down on your quite little Gonzaga get-away shortly after X-mas if that still works for you.

CaptK, why must you tease us so? Lets see the pics. How was the drive down? Where did you cross? Hwy1 all the way?

Old 10-24-2008, 11:37 AM   #32

We plan on being here December and January. Or at least somewhere in Baja. As the end of the year approaches, we'll nail it down and make sure we're at the abode.
Looking forward to you and your clan....

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:43 AM   #33

Looking forward to it. Thinking we might beat feet by crossing at TJ, heading down Mex 1, then turning north back up to Gonzaga. Supposed to be the much faster way to get there. Mexicali is supposed to be a nightmare right now due to construction. Goal is basically to get to Gonzaga as quick as possible, then start enjoying Baja. I'm stressy near the border and don't really relax until its 200 miles behind me.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:58 AM   #34

Another option is to cross at Tecate and head down to 1 that way (merges just north of Ensenada). I forget the name of the road but can look it up if needed. It is also a nice drive that goes through the wine country. It is also about the same driving time, excluding getting to Tecate. Finally, you don't have to deal with TJ and all the problems they are currently experiencing. Whatever you do, don't drive in the dark in Northern Baja.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:09 PM   #35

No way would we drive in the dark. From Tecate its Hwy 3, if I recall. Do you know if the bank at Tecate (for tourist cards) is open before 8AM yet? The benefit to TJ (the only one in my opin) is the ability to get that whole tourist card hassle out of the way before daybreak, so you can cross at first light, and go like a mother-scratcher away from the border.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:12 PM   #36

No clue if the bank in Tecate is open for the tourist card at that time, sorry. I've only purchased it in TJ. Try calling Vagabundos or some other company that deals with Mexican insurance. Make sure you request it to be good for 6 months though.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:16 PM   #37

My last card was a one-year card, but they make you turn it in at the airport (otherwise we'd all still be in good shape). Hate the tourist card. Hate it! Its actually a tiny hassle, but hate it nonetheless.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:42 PM   #38

There is construction in Mexicali with a detour on Hwy. 5 starting at Costco if you know where that is. It caught us unawares, but was well signed (that was hard to believe) and only added about fifteen minutes to the trip. When we head north for T-day I'm going to see about another way around. What I need is a decent map of Mexicali! Anyone know where ya can get one?
Not sure which way is faster. I just hate the roads and traffic on the west coast so we don't go that way anymore. On the east side, good pavement to Puertecitos and then the road goes to hell till you get to Hwy 1.
In round numbers, it's 55 miles from Puertecitos to Gonzaga and 35 up from Hwy. 1. We're ten north of Gonzaga, 'bout in the middle. Took me three hours from Puertecitos in the SMB cause of the roughness. Don't need four wheel drive, just a little ground clearance and good tires. A friend just came down in a Subaru, but his tires would have scared me. I like 'em tougher then that.
Either way, it's worth the trip!!!

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
Old 10-24-2008, 02:47 PM   #39

How's this for ya? http://www.maps-of-mexico.com/baja-cali ... main.shtml

Oops, wrong one. How about this one: http://www.sanfelipe.com.mx/about/mexicali.html

http://www.mexicaliturismo.com/en/mapadetallado.html
Old 10-25-2008, 08:26 AM   #40

Thanks deminimis. One of those was new to me, and they're about as good as I've found.
I want AAA to print up a good city map (yeah right) that I can carry with me. I can get around town pretty good, but sometimes I end up on some barrio dirt street that dead ends in the middle of nowhere. I HATE back tracking!!!

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB