Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2016, 12:08 PM   #1

BC Overland Rally

The people that put on the Northwest Overland Rally are planning the first BC Overland Rally in the Frazier Valley, BC in 2017.

NW Overland Rally is June 15 to 18, 2017 in Plane, WA.
BC Overland Rally is June 22-25, 2017.

Expo thread.

No affiliation man my part.

larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 11:17 AM   #2

Thanks for the news, Larrie! It sounds like it will be a great event that I would like to go to, even though I would be on my dual-sport bike and not a 4x4. I grew up in Vancouver BC and I love exploring the mountains and lakes. Instead I'll be getting ready for a rafting trip down the Grand Canyon that starts June 29. Not sure if I need a smilely face or a sad face here.

BTW, I guess you mean the Fraser Valley, named after the Fraser River that carved it out. There's a lot of mix-up between those two names.

- Steve
SteveTOaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 01:07 PM   #3

Yes, I meant Fraser River Valley, not Frazier. Have a good time on the raft trip.
Old 12-18-2016, 01:49 PM   #4

Funny they are back to back, it will make for a couple busy wknds! Pretty sure I'll be going to both, maybe one with the Ambo and the other one in the Travelwagon
1965 Econoline Travelwagon
A few bicycles...and sandals ;)
Abitibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 07:13 PM   #5

I was planning to go to Overland Expo West next spring, but these also look appealing. Can someone who has been to both compare the OX experience with the NWOR experience. I assume the BCOR will be very similar to the NWOR.

I did go to OX last spring and had a good time checking out the vendor area and folks' personal rigs in the camping area as I was looking for ideas and inspiration for my own build. I did not attend classes, but plan to do so next year.

Just browsing the websites I assume the OX is much bigger (perhaps 10X) and I could easily fill my time in the class sessions. The NW and BCORs seems like I could get more behind the wheel experience because the onsite course wouldn't be as crowded and there are semi-organized rides in the surrounding area.

Opinions on both welcome. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:42 PM   #6

I've been to both a few time each. The Flagstaff one is great for all the vendors but more regulated (need to pre-register to courses...) and crowded. I personally prefer the NWOR as it's more personal, smaller friendly crowd, laid back, one main fire pit every nightly . Just not as many vendors but it's growing every year. I think the BC one will be even smaller which works for me...

Cheers
David

"Another great day ruined by responsibilities"
1965 Econoline Travelwagon
A few bicycles...and sandals ;)
Abitibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 10:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abitibi View Post
I've been to both a few time each. The Flagstaff one is great for all the vendors but more regulated (need to pre-register to courses...) and crowded. I personally prefer the NWOR as it's more personal, smaller friendly crowd, laid back, one main fire pit every nightly . Just not as many vendors but it's growing every year. I think the BC one will be even smaller which works for me...

Cheers
David

"Another great day ruined by responsibilities"
Do you think there is more behind the wheel opportunities at the NWOR?
Old 12-19-2016, 10:11 AM   #8

Here is the link to last years NW Overland Rally schedule from last year. There are multiple trail rides run all day Thursday and Friday and range from a couple of hours to all day runs.