Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2018, 03:26 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel Huijser View Post
10 things I learned during the course:

1. These vehicles are very capable... steep terrain, rocks, loose sand, scary side ward slopes.
2. Practical recommendations for tire pressure F/R on Highway (60/65 PSI), Gravel (50/55) and on rocks/sand/snow surface (30/35).
2. Maxtrax are extremely useful as a first tool when you get stuck in sand, mud, snow: quick, easy, safe compared to winching. Need 4 of them.
3. I rather carry a Pull Pal than dig in a spare tire as an anchor for winching. An 11,000# pull pall did the job in loose sand with van stuck up a slope. Other circumstances may require heavier duty pull pall, I just don't have experience to really know.
4. Hawse fairlead is not great for synthetic winch line... they eat more of the line than I am happy with. I will get roller fairlead (though some people worry about the rope getting stuck between the rollers).
5. The winch should really be front mounted, not feet down. May need to get custom plate made and reinstall.
6. The hi-lift jack is only of very limited use with these heavy vehicles. For sure I cannot lift rear tires with that jack.... simply too heavy for this tool and me. Not sure about front tires... You may still consider the jack for manual winching off rear receiver to back out of something (in combination with driving back wards).
7. Receiver recovery hitch is useful when manually winching backwards and when pulling someone else out.
8. Winching requires training and regular practice. Take this very seriously.
9. The Bubba kinetic recovery rope recommendation on the website is different from what was recommended during course. Get the 30,000#, not 50,000#.
10. I should learn how to plug a tire.
Marcel -

Did you look into returning/exchanging the Bubba kinetic recovery rope? Still wondering if I should keep mine or swap it out.

David

Botchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 03:32 PM   #82

@Botchan

Indeed... fitness, strength, and especially smarts and experience do not necessarily reduce with the aging process! . And I think smarts and experience can keep you from the worst of the trouble to begin with!

I agree that the course was totally worth it... I basically drove from the Canadian border to the Mexican border and back for this course, and I would do it again for an advanced class!
Marcel Huijser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:23 PM   #83

Hi David, I just asked Bill for confirmation. I will let you know what I find out
Old 03-06-2018, 08:51 PM   #84

Thx for sharing info/pics just curios how much this course is? I defineately want to do some exploring in Anza, if anybody is interested hit me up,I also have a dual sport motorcycle and would like to mix it up if possible
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:58 PM   #85

It was $775 per van, 3 days
Old 03-12-2018, 03:51 PM   #86

The pictures, videos and take-aways have sold me! If there is a list for another class like this— please put me on it!
Thanks for sharing.
SCMatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 03:54 PM   #87

@scMatthew: Just contact Bill Burke or his wife Rachel and let him know!
Old 03-12-2018, 08:31 PM   #88
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMatthew View Post
The pictures, videos and take-aways have sold me! If there is a list for another class like this— please put me on it!
Thanks for sharing.
Most of Bill's classes are ones set up by groups. He used to coordinate classes and then have people sign up, but enough groups want him to teach that most of his classes are by request now.

As Marcel mentioned, contact Bill/Rachel and get on their mailing list, or, take the bull by the horns and work with them to arrange a group class.

Herb
Old 03-13-2018, 09:11 AM   #89

Herb is correct. If you really want to take the class, taking initiative is best. Discuss it with Bill, decide on date and location, and advertise to get a handful of similar vehicles and their operators. When I advertised the class it filled within 48 hrs. So, waiting for others to take initiative means that you may not get in. Alternatively you can do a private class.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:29 PM   #90

Thanks for the suggestions. I have emailed Bill for his availability/interest in another SMB group.
Am I the only one that is into this?
SCMatthew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4x4, burke, class, training, trip