Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2019, 11:12 PM   #1

Boats and Vans - two favorite things

We're just back from a week of sea kayaking off Tofino, west coast of Vancouver Island. I've always loved seeing boats on cars, even better on a SMB! Here we're waiting in the ferry line. (kind of a pricey ferry ride, we're both over height and over length)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190710_142741.jpg  

sbgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 10:25 AM   #2

boats on vans

Sounds like a fun trip. Here's a couple shots of my boat on the van.
Attached Thumbnails
Seaside van.jpg   IMG_20180830_071812.jpg  
YoTerryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 01:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrimm View Post
We're just back from a week of sea kayaking off Tofino, west coast of Vancouver Island. I've always loved seeing boats on cars, even better on a SMB! Here we're waiting in the ferry line. (kind of a pricey ferry ride, we're both over height and over length)
Yeah, its about $200 CAD for us round trip when we take the ferry to the island. It is absolutely stunning though, we always try to go for more than a weekend on our trips to get better value. Hit me up the next time your in the Vancouver area, would love to check your rig! Can tell/show you some nice spots to check out for a paddle in the area.

Joe
Old 07-19-2019, 03:16 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrull View Post
Yeah, its about $200 CAD for us round trip when we take the ferry to the island. It is absolutely stunning though, we always try to go for more than a weekend on our trips to get better value. Hit me up the next time your in the Vancouver area, would love to check your rig! Can tell/show you some nice spots to check out for a paddle in the area.

Joe
Joe, you've now peaked my curiosity on paddling opportunities in your area. Just bought an inflatable 18' sea kayak and looks like the wifie and I may try to get a 7 day trip to the coast in August pulled off... Any suggestions would be informative to both myself and other members who might want to follow suit . While not strapped on top, it will still stuff in the back...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4671.jpg  
Old 07-26-2019, 01:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
Joe, you've now peaked my curiosity on paddling opportunities in your area. Just bought an inflatable 18' sea kayak and looks like the wifie and I may try to get a 7 day trip to the coast in August pulled off... Any suggestions would be informative to both myself and other members who might want to follow suit . While not strapped on top, it will still stuff in the back...
Not exactly on the coast but you need to check out Bluey Lake. The water is stunningly clear with a nice turquoise colour. It's on the 5A between Princeton and Merrit. Hook Lake, also along that corridor I've been told is a great fishing spot.

Lots of spots to pull up and setup camp.

There are more spots to paddle around the Vancouver area but they are all quite busy. Buntzen Lake is close to Vancouver, nice but busy on weekends. It's connected to beach rec site/off leash dog area/and trails. Day use only.
Attached Thumbnails
15.jpg  
Old 07-27-2019, 10:20 PM   #6

If you're looking for some easy kayak camping you can't do better than the Broken Group in Barkley Sound. There's a water taxi available to get out to the islands, several islands with campsites, composting toilets, and a wide range of paddling opportunities for all abilities.

For something further afield you can do the trip we just completed. We put in at Tofino and circumnavigated Vargas Island. It's an intermediate skill level trip, but you do need to be ready for fog and wind, especially on the outside of Vargas. The reward is whale and wolf sightings and more remote camping on wide sandy beaches.
Old 07-27-2019, 11:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Looks a bit tighter up on top than I thought it would be. I had always hoped to get a storage box and a couple of kayaks up on my E250, they seem to look better on my Tahoe ... but they do overhang the sides a bit.
Salem Kroger 4x4 Grrr (edit), fixed and drives like a dream!
WanderingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 07:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingBob View Post
Looks a bit tighter up on top than I thought it would be.
Those are both tandem kayaks, both beamy, and we still had about 12" of bar available. Not enough for a box, but if you had a couple of sleek singles you might fit a box up there. Or Yakima makes a post that attaches to your bars and allows you to turn the boats on their sides.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Those are both tandem kayaks, both beamy, and we still had about 12" of bar available. Not enough for a box, but if you had a couple of sleek singles you might fit a box up there. Or Yakima makes a post that attaches to your bars and allows you to turn the boats on their sides.
Ideally, I should pull the rack to get the fit done properly, but think I'll start with measurements on the ground ... trying to get a maxair fan and a couple of solar panels up there too! Talk about top heavy!!!!

Thanks,
Salem Kroger 4x4 Grrr (edit), fixed and drives like a dream!
WanderingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 03:48 PM   #10

Our van with bikes and tandem kayak. We keep it simple with foam blocks and J-flat hook (gutter hook) straps.
triley is offline   Reply With Quote