Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2015, 01:32 AM   #11

Re: Broken Down in North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadcat
I used to have good Sam until I tried to get into one of their parks a few years ago and they would not let me in because they said I had no city water connection.
That seems ironic, since SMB makes a city water connection do double-duty as the gravity fill (so in other words it ONLY has a city water connection fitting).

(It took me a while to get my head around why that little grey valve under the couch until I realized that was so the one connection could serve both purposes.)

Anyway, whether or not it was justified, I hate that sort of petty little rule!

I one time went to register for a campsite in a city campground, only to be told I couldn't have one because I was going to sleep in my vehicle (shiny/nice station wagon in the back of which I had a sleeping pad set up). I asked why and they said I had to pitch a tent because it was "safer." Oh really? Because nylon and a zipper is safer than my locked car?!

Then they said, well no sleeping in vehicles. I pointed out the camper van already in a site.

Then they said well, you might be homeless. To which I replied, well if that were true I can't imagine I'd be paying $45 per night for this campsite! (Not to mention my vehicle was licensed in a state about 1,000 miles away.)

By this point I threw in the towel and said okay, I have a tent. They rented me a site and I went to Wal-Mart and bought an $18 tent that was about 4' long (kids tent). Set it up in the site and then slept on my 30" x 78" thick, comfortable sleeping pad in my locked car, with nary a whimper from the powers that be (For a week - I was there taking a class. Otherwise I would have left in a huff after the first silly rule!)

Anyway, I hope you get fixed up and running ASAP.

Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:35 AM   #12

Man, that kind of crap drives me insane. That's one big reason I would rather sleep in a Walmart parking lot than a private RV park.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 06:33 PM   #13

We had to upgrade to AAA rv because of the size of our vehicles. F350 4wdCC L/B and E350 EB
A few extra dollars a year and no chit from AAA.

ps...they use the same roll back for both reg and rv
hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:33 PM   #14

The club for NYC - #097 - doesn't seem to offer RV level of service. "Premier" is the highest they go and I have that. The upstate clubs do offer it. I may try to see if I can join one that I'm not a part of geographically.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:12 PM   #15

I thought I was getting out today. The flexplate came in and they told me late afternoon it would be ready. When I called at three, the service guy went to check and he came back and said the mechanic did not want to bolt it all back up because he said the shaft head "seized in the torque converter" and he did not want to do a shoddy job. I have to wait one more day for a new torque converter now, to the tune of much more money and another day of my life. Oh well. I wish they had ascertained this on Friday.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:04 PM   #16

"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote