Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2018, 09:43 AM   #1

Burning van (like Burning Man)

I"ve never been to Burning Man, but aparently it's a pretty popular concept. Several hundred people arrived on New Year's eve to see this van burn. It was aparently filled with regrets. Hopefully your regrets are few and far between and your looking forward to a year filled with adventures.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5581.JPG  

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:08 AM   #2

Thanks, I'm all about the ides of 'out with the old bad stuff, in with the new and improved!'

That picture reminds me of a buddy of mine had this older gas powered motorhome that let him down out every turn. As luck would have it, it too met a fiery demise.

This thing was cursed I tell ya... 3 transmission rebuilds, even a 50mile factory new trans, an intermittent fuel starvation problem that ended up being the pump, fridge broke, furnace too, over just a few years and maybe 10k miles. It got so bad, his wife refused to ride in it after being stranded a few times, and would just take her sedan and 'meet him there', at the destination.

Two years ago, I get a call, the motor home broke down (again) in Truckee, while towing his racecar out the the Bonneville Salt Flats. I came and got him, we raced for a few days, then had the money pit towed to a Truckee transmission shop, where I dropped him off. It took that shop a week to get him back on the road. Even HE was getting fed up (that man is as persistent as a bad rash, which makes him a good racer and friend BTW).

Fast forward 6 months later, I get a series of txts from him. No words, just a series of pictures. The first pic, his motorhome off to the side of the road, looks like somewhere near Kreamer Junction (California desert). I recognized it immediately as his, as it wasn't moving. Looking at the pic closely, there's smoke coming out from under it. I thought 'oh no!'.

It get worse. The second pic, has thick black smoke billowing out from under it. The third, the entire thing engulfed in flame, flame licking out of the (now) broken windows. Fourth, fire crew mopping up the skeletal remains, charred pavement, rims minus tires, driver's seat frame was the tallest identifiable feature.

The last txt just said 'I think it's finally dead'
Old 01-01-2018, 10:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post

The last txt just said 'I think it's finally dead'
Many years ago, a friends dad had a new Jaguar that make him walk several times. One day he is pulling up to the toll booth on the SF bay bridge, and the toll taker yells "Hey mister, your car's on fire" He pulls it past the tool booth and gets out as the toll taker runs up with a fire extinguisher. He blocks the guy and says, "leave it alone", and "Oh, can you call me a cab"?
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 05:39 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Many years ago, a friends dad had a new Jaguar that make him walk several times. One day he is pulling up to the toll booth on the SF bay bridge, and the toll taker yells "Hey mister, your car's on fire" He pulls it past the tool booth and gets out as the toll taker runs up with a fire extinguisher. He blocks the guy and says, "leave it alone", and "Oh, can you call me a cab"?

He should have also asked for a refund of his toll.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Haha good one!
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote