Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2011, 06:36 AM   #1

California State Park Closure list

(mods- i searched, could not find this, pls move if another thread)

Doing final routeing for Bill Wilson's Tour de Lost Coast

Sadly took some great spots off the list of potential sites :a6:

http://parks.ca.gov/?page_id=26685
pdf attached below also

California State Parks
Park Closures to Meet 2011/12-2012/13 General Fund Reductions
Anderson Marsh SHP
Annadel SP
Antelope Valley Indian Museum
Austin Creek SRA
Bale Grist Mill SHP
Benbow Lake SRA
Benicia Capitol SHP
Benicia SRA
Bidwell Mansion SHP
Bothe-Napa Valley SP
Brannan Island SRA
California Mining & Mineral Museum
Candlestick Point SRA
Castle Crags SP
Castle Rock SP
China Camp SP
Colusa-Sacramento River SRA
Del Norte Coast Redwoods SP
Fort Humboldt SHP
Fort Tejon SHP
Garrapata SP
George J. Hatfield SRA
Governor's Mansion SHP
Gray Whale Cove SB
Greenwood SB
Grizzly Creek Redwoods SP
Hendy Woods SP
Henry W. Coe SP
Jack London SHP
Jug Handle SNR
Leland Stanford Mansion SHP
Limekiln SP
Los Encinos SHP
Malakoff Diggins SHP
Manchester SP
McConnell SRA
McGrath SB
Mono Lake Tufa SNR
Morro Strand SB
Moss Landing SB
Olompali SHP
Palomar Mountain SP
Petaluma Adobe SHP
Picacho SRA
Pio Pico SHP
Plumas-Eureka SP
Point Cabrillo Light Station
Portola Redwoods SP
Providence Mountains SRA
Railtown 1897 SHP
Russian Gulch SP
Saddleback Butte SP
Salton Sea SRA
Samuel P. Taylor SP
San Pasqual Battlefield SHP
Santa Cruz Mission SHP
Santa Susana Pass SHP
Shasta SHP
South Yuba River SP
Standish-Hickey SRA
Sugarloaf Ridge SP
Tomales Bay SP
Tule Elk SNR
Turlock Lake SRA
Twin Lakes SB
Weaverville Joss House SHP
Westport-Union Landing SB
William B. Ide Adobe SHP
Woodson Bridge SRA
Zmudowski SB
Total Park Closures: 70
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2011ParkClosures_attachments20110513.pdf (33.8 KB, 4 views)

billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:52 AM   #2
Site Team

Re: California State Park Closure list

Hookie Smokes, Bullwinkle! That's a lot of closures! And it doesn't include Mitchell Caverns in the Mojave Desert, which the website says is also closed.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmcintire
Hookie Smokes, Bullwinkle! That's a lot of closures! And it doesn't include Mitchell Caverns in the Mojave Desert, which the website says is also closed.

I agree bud

There is another park here close to Pendleton
called San Mateo

I have a 2nd hand report that it is trash and squirrel infested and no longer
a good spot

Sad but alot of spots will fall prey to misuse and lack of budgets

I dont get it, we even pack out our dog poop
(thanx to the trasharoo, which DOES make it easy)

There are some really great spots on that list, if you poke around you will see that families have been going for two plus generations, and now the next generation will not get to sit around a fire with grandma/pa, mom and dad and the kids
A sad state of affairs

BUT hark! i see the new place for the kids..... California State Prision system

I volunteer in the state, federal and county jails & prisions
i have yet to meet a guy that went camping semi regular with the family........
Old 12-16-2011, 07:22 AM   #4
Site Team

You are absolutely right. The thought of beautiful camping spots being trashed or ruined is infuriating. I can think of so many tax dollars that are being wasted on stuff far less important than nature's beauties. This is so sad!

My family has been going camping for a week every year at South Carlsbad State Beach for over 20 years. It would be horrible if that tradition came to an end. And, interestingly, about a month ago I sold my tent trailer to an Hispanic guy who was covered with prison tattoos. He had been released a few years ago. He told me he'd gone tent camping with his kids just a few days before for the first time in his (and their) life. They had had such a wonderful experience that he realized camping was the way to save his children from the life he had had. I hated to have to sell my tent trailer, but when his three kids went inside the tent trailer they were as excited as if it were Christmas morning. Their eyes were big and they were jumping and screaming. I got teary-eyed. When the dad paid me he was very appreciative. He, too, was excited. It felt so good to know my prized tent trailer was going to a family who would enjoy it and use it as much as I had.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:00 AM   #5

Mitchell Caverns would be (actually is already) closed with Providence Mountains SRA, within which it's located. Too bad, Providence Mountains has some (6) campsites; some of the few reachable by paved roads in the Mojave National Preserve area.

Salivan
salivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmcintire
You are absolutely right. The thought of beautiful camping spots being trashed or ruined is infuriating. I can think of so many tax dollars that are being wasted on stuff far less important than nature's beauties. This is so sad!

My family has been going camping for a week every year at South Carlsbad State Beach for over 20 years. It would be horrible if that tradition came to an end. And, interestingly, about a month ago I sold my tent trailer to an Hispanic guy who was covered in prison tattoos. He had been released a few years ago. He told me he'd gone tent camping with his kids just a few days before for the first time in his (and their) life. They had had such a wonderful experience that he realized camping was the way to save his children from the life he had had. I hated to have to sell my tent trailer, but when his three kids went inside the tent trailer they were as excited as if it were Christmas morning. There eyes were big and they were jumping and screaming. I got teary-eyed. It felt so good to know my prized tent trailer was going to a family who would appreciate it and use it as much as I had.

Far OUT mac!!!
Old 12-16-2011, 02:43 PM   #7

It all goes back to the idiots in Sacramento that run our state. All the money from State Parks go into the "general fund" and are most likely spent on stupid earmark projects. If they would do the same as Oregon and allow the money from the parks to stay with the park system then we would not be facing all these closures. The Oregon State parks are always some of the best maintained with the cheapest of the state parks. California needs to privatize the parks and let entrapreneurs run them and compete for us customers and I bet you would see alot of them re-open and beautifully run.
stevepar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:58 PM   #8
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevepar
It all goes back to the idiots in Sacramento that run our state. All the money from State Parks go into the "general fund" and are most likely spent on stupid earmark projects. If they would do the same as Oregon and allow the money from the parks to stay with the park system then we would not be facing all these closures. The Oregon State parks are always some of the best maintained with the cheapest of the state parks. California needs to privatize the parks and let entrapreneurs run them and compete for us customers and I bet you would see alot of them re-open and beautifully run.
Correctamundo!!!

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 03:30 PM   #9

Garage

This a real big kick in the ass to all of us. My county is clamoring for a big new and expensive jail structure. I'm sure they'll get it before any of these parks reopen. So, we don't have nature to enjoy for a few bucks a visit, but our taxes go to comfortably housing, clothing and feeding criminals. Something is seriously wrong with this picture.

I liked going to Limekiln on the Big Sur Coast. And now they're closing Railtown 1897 ? What will become of the restored historic trains and equipment?

Man, this state is so f-ucked up I'm embarrassed to be a resident.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:14 PM   #10

Jeffrey wrote:
Quote:
So, we don't have nature to enjoy for a few bucks a visit, but our taxes go to comfortably housing, clothing and feeding criminals. Something is seriously wrong with this picture.
Not to mention the thousands of non-violent junkies and drug users who do their time and get out with no hope of a legitimate job and a graduate degree in criminal behavior.