Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2010, 03:26 PM   #1

Camping around Monterey?

Hello!

We're on the road now and planning on visiting the Monterey Aquarium this weekend, but I can't find much camping nearby. Can anybody suggest a good spot?

There's the Veteran's Park in Monterey, that offers first-come-first-serve - I don't have high hopes of snagging a spot at 3pm on a Friday. Sunset SB up north is booked up, as is New Brighton near Santa Cruz (stayed there last week anyway, and it was noisy and crowded).

There's San Luis Reservoir, but the Basalt campground is closed for the season, and the other one (San Luis Creek) is just a parking lot, I'm told.

Anything else within about an hour? Don't want to go south - we'll be coming from SMB West and would like to camp within a couple of hours of the shop.

Many thanks!
Mike.

mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:51 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon
Re: Camping around Monterey?

There's a campground/RV park just north of Marina on the beach. Also Big Sur has several. There's at least one in Carmel Valley not far from us. If any of those appeal to you and you'd like more info, e-mail me and I'll do more research for you.
Bill
P.S. If you're just looking for a place to spend the night with elec. and water, you're welcome to pop your top here. (About 1/2 hour from Mont. Aquarium.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:03 PM   #3

Camping right around Monterey is slim, but there is quite a bit south in Big Sur. ( I know you said not south). But the drive is truly spectacular. Kirk Creek camp grounds about a hour south on the 1 is the only camping on the ocean side of hwy 1 in Big Sur. Its up on a bluff, really nice sites 22-23-or 15 are the best. better reserve @USFS. best of luck! ps. bring supplies evey thing in Big Sur is expensive

Kirk creek

campervanbeethoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:09 PM   #4

Bill - thank you! That's very kind of you to offer. With 2 toddlers and all the noise and mess they entail, I'll hold out for a campground, but I do really appreciate the offer

beethoven - nice looking site, thanks for the info. I'd written off Big Sur, but after reading a bit about Kirk Creek and the other nearby campgrounds, it seems worth the extra time to get there from Fresno. And still within an hour of Monterey for the next day.

I also noticed Pinnacles on the map, and there are sites available there. I save my greatest hatred for mosquitoes, though, and a number of reviews mention the hordes of bugs. (Can anyone confirm / deny?)

I think I'll go for Kirk Creek. But if anyone has any other ideas, feel free to pitch in!

Thanks VERY much!
Mike.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:26 AM   #5
CJ

Send a message via Yahoo to CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjeffrey
I also noticed Pinnacles on the map, and there are sites available there. I save my greatest hatred for mosquitoes, though, and a number of reviews mention the hordes of bugs. (Can anyone confirm / deny?)
Mike.

I would have to say not so true. I am a skeeter magnet and didn't have a problem in Pinnacles. It is a great place and I would go back. Some nice trails with lots of things to see. Campground was ok, nothing to rave about. Hiking, Caves, Condors, Wildflowers, and climbing was all good fun. If my memory is right we were there in late June.

Have fun be safe

Old 06-02-2010, 10:33 AM   #6

Mike,

Here are a couple of websites to look at:
http://www.pointlobos.org/Camping.html
http://www.co.monterey.ca.us/parks/sanantonio.html

There are lots of camp grounds on HWY 1 south of Monterey. Did you try Point Lobos? I have to agree, Kirk Creek is probably the most spectacular. The drive up HWY 1 from Cambria on a clear day is worth the trip. Kirk Creek is in the middle on your way to Monterey.

Lake San Antonio has lots of camp sites, and many have hookups. It is a little out of the way.

Enjoy the trip!
/~fred
fmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:32 AM   #7

I don't recall having any issues with bugs when I was there either but I did have some first hand experience with poison oak. Not fun. Learn to identify the plant and be careful hiking around.
campervanbeethoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:55 AM   #8

We've camped at Veteran's Park many times. You might luck out on Friday afternoon since it doesn't take reservations, accept big rigs, and is hard to find.

Another possibility is Laguna Seca, it's run by the County of Monterey.

If you have bicycles, the Monterey Recreation Trail is a paved trail 29 miles long that follows the coast from Marina to Pacific Grove.

Carl
Carl N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:54 PM   #9

Thank you very much everyone! Always so much excellent information, freely shared - it's much appreciated.

For fun, check out the directions to get from Laguna Seca to Monterey.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjeffrey
For fun, check out the directions to get from Laguna Seca to Monterey.
Maybe we should rent the track for a day of SMB racing.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote