Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2011, 09:18 AM   #1

Send a message via MSN to bettyford
camping info Zion To Mono Lake

We will be heading down to Bryce and Zion on the 9th and then heading due west through the desert to Mono Lake then Tahoe for a party and spring Skiing on the 16th then B-line it home on the 17th.

Info on camping (2wd boon-docking) Ghost towns or your favorite spots would be great.

If any of you will be around we would love to hook up.

Thanks

Ron

Old 03-27-2011, 10:24 AM   #2

Re: camping info Zion To Mono Lake

While Bryce is pretty, it is also pretty cold. I'd suggest camping down the hill at Kodachrome State Park. Zion, of course is worth a stay. Cathedral Gorge State Park outside Panaca, NV is a nice little facility with some good short hikes. From Panace you can take the ExtraTerrestrial Highway near Area 51. The Little Ale'inn is worth a chuckle.

You can boondock in Death Valley as long as you are 2 miles off a paved road and not near a water source - so a visit to Racetrack is usually in order. But, with the recent rains you may not be able to go onto the playa and see the rocks/tracks. There is so much to see and do in DV that it is number one on my 'Most Visited' list.

Have fun,

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:13 PM   #3
Site Team

Here is what I would do:

After you leave Zion head north on I-15 with two options:

1) At Cedar City, Utah, take Hwy 56 west out of Cedar City to Panaca/Pioche, Nevada and see/stay at Cathedral Gorge, then backtrack through Caliente and take Hwy 375 (Extraterrestrial Highway) through Tonopah to Mono Lake. You could take a side trip on your way and try to get a glimpse of Area 51 (I can give your directions to an overlook).

2) Continue north on I-15 to Beaver and take Hwy 21 west to US 50 west and stop at Lehman Cave and camp at Wheeler Peak. Then continue on US 50 west (the Loneliest Highway) and see some wonderful old mining towns on your way to Lake Tahoe.

Or you could go on I-15 South to Valley of Fire (40 miles north of Las Vegas) or a multitude of great places to camp in Death Valley. If you want a nice Ghost town to camp in, take Hwy 95 north out of Vegas to Beatty, Nevada, turn west on Hwy 374 and go six miles to Rhyolite (you can see pictures of it in my gallery). That road will take you right into the heart of Death Valley.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:45 PM   #4

Ron -

If you like hot springs and you go the Hwy 50 route, there's a great one about 5 mi south of the highway in Big Smoky Valley between Eureka and Austin, NV. Nice place to spend the nite and soak off the road dust.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:59 PM   #5

You guys are awesome!!

Ron
Old 03-29-2011, 10:02 AM   #6

Bryce is awesome this time of year, as are many of the parks in Utah. All the below are from last week. Bryce was empty, only one camping area was open, and that was empty, down to 12deg at night.

Zion was packed, you'll have to get a spot first thing in the morning if you want to camp inside the park.

Since you are in the area, you may want to consider heading east and running Burr trail.

SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:39 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepShagger
Zion was packed, you'll have to get a spot first thing in the morning if you want to camp inside the park.
Really? Wow, please tell me that's because of Spring Break. Hoping to spend a few days there in mid-May, but don't need to be in an overcrowded campground either.

Herb
Old 03-29-2011, 06:10 PM   #8
Site Team

The campgrounds in Zion are always full in the summer months on weekends and on most week days. It is a very popular place and gathering spot for people from all over the world. It's amazing to hear the different languages being spoken in the various campsites. The good news is it's not like some campgrounds where it feels like a parking lot. The campsites are spacious. But don't expect privacy. If you want privacy camp on Gooseberry Mesa and drive into the park.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepShagger
Really? Wow, please tell me that's because of Spring Break. Hoping to spend a few days there in mid-May, but don't need to be in an overcrowded campground either.

Herb
I think macmcintire nailed it. It's just a very popular place. Personally I think Bryce and Canyonlands are a nicer, but I'm sure Bryce in the summer is probably just as packed.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:55 PM   #10

I just made a res at the Watchman campground in Zion there was only 4 spots left for Sunday and nothing for Monday. If we decide to stay I will check out the 1st come 1st serve spots with out hookups. I'm not sure the wife is going to go for super cold night its been a long winter here in Jackson and we are ready for warmth.

Thanks for all the info

Ron