Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2016, 10:25 PM   #1

Camping near or just south of Santa Barbara?

Will need to find a place near or just south of Santa Barbara for a night end of January. Anyone know of a nice hideout? Would love to be on the beach, but no such thing around there I don't think, so maybe up in the hills to the east?

Prefer remote / secluded. Don't need a campground.

Thanks for any insight!

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 12:44 AM   #2

The Santa Inez mountains just north of Santa Barbara are in the Los Padres National Forest and have remote options. I've camped in my van off both East and West Camino Cielo roads intersecting State Hwy. 154 at the mountain range crest. East Camino Cielo is paved most of the way and has more traffic; West Camino Cielo is part paved and part graded gravel and is more wild. Both have great views of the city below, especially at night, and the Pacific beyond. Sites for overnighting consist of turnouts off the road. If you go to the end of East Cielo, there are a couple of hot springs.
Jack K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:00 AM   #3

Garage
I know you said you don't need a campground, but, this is one of the very best anywhere.

Jalama State Beach. 20 miles from anywhere. Just south of Lompoc, and North of Gaviota.

Surf beach with nothing to do but hang out. No cell service, Jalama Burger will be the best burger you ever had. Reservations through SB County Parks.
County of Santa Barbara Community Service Dept., Parks Division Online Reservations
Beach Front spaces are hard to come by but they do have non-reserveable, first come first served slots.

If going without a campground. Head up to West Camino Cielo near the summit of 154 on the way from SB to Lake Cachuma. There are some good overviews to see the beach, but you are probably 10 miles from it. Dirt road with turn outs.
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
skyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 09:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrat View Post
If going without a campground. Head up to West Camino Cielo near the summit of 154 on the way from SB to Lake Cachuma. There are some good overviews to see the beach, but you are probably 10 miles from it. Dirt road with turn outs.
Plus one on this.. I camped up here driving home from SD one time.. Paved road turns to dirt, bunch of little spots here and there. Very little traffic.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ing-13260.html
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 09:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
Plus one on this.. I camped up here driving home from SD one time.. Paved road turns to dirt, bunch of little spots here and there. Very little traffic.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ing-13260.html
Thanks guys! Do you happen to have coordinates of this spot?

Old 11-30-2016, 09:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpvi View Post
Thanks guys! Do you happen to have coordinates of this spot?
I don't, but there's plenty up there.. West Camino Cielo turns to dirt maybe 3-5 miles from 154, then there's a variety of little pullout campsites for miles.

Don't know about East Camino Cielo, but I understand it's similar.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:30 AM   #7

Great. I'll just head up and see what I find. Will be going up after dark, so always interesting to see what the chosen spot looks like when you wake up in the morning!

thanks again.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:38 AM   #8

I did the same.. rolled in after dark, found a site with an awesome view, and called it good enough.

It was a little small if I was going to be there for the weekend, but for a quick overnight it was perfect.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:41 AM   #9

Garage
These are my backroads, I live in SB. You can get to Camino Cielo, east or west, from the crest of state route 154. I'd say you're be more remote on the West route, which is at the end of the road marked Kinevan Road, off the 154. A few miles and you pass the gun club, then it's a dirt road and not long before you find turnouts and spurs. A few more miles takes you to the highest spot near the broadcast and radar towers. Great views.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:15 AM   #10

Thanks Jeffrey. After being on this site so long, I should have remembered you live there even though we've never met. I'll be picking my brother up from work and then finding a place to hang out for the evening before we continue on to San Diego the next morning for a weekend family gathering.