Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2013, 04:51 PM   #1

Caples Lake

Caples Lake is on Highway 88 or Carson Pass. We stayed at Caples Campground. I have also seen it as Twin Lakes Campground which makes no sense. Near the lake, but also near the highway.

Sportsmobile camping works well in that it is no big deal to break camp. We spent the day at the day use area. So it costs five bucks. Everyone else is at the side of the highway so it was vacant. The day use area has water, picnic tables, bathrooms and a boat ramp. We could park right up against the water.

The Resort directly across from the campground was $15 day use and no dogs leash or not. Alone at the day use area we got away with murder. The kayaking was awesome.

Somewhere I read I could ride my bicycle to Lake Margaret. The sign said bicycles allowed, but the trail was too rocky for me. I should have left it on the car. However what a sweet trail!

I did a little motorcycling. There is a trail that goes from Caples Lake Maintenance station all the way to Highway 50. I went a little ways and saw some great views.

Interesting was how much boon docking there was along this road. There were fire pits, but I saw a sign no fires allowed.

One thing I have been scouting are campgrounds listed as tent only. With the Sportsmobile it seems I can go there, but am I allowed? Well there was one I saw on the up to Saddleback Lake that I could not use. The parking was all in one place and one walked a quarter mile to the campground. Kirkwood Lake was one I could park and I may park. It was a tight little area but the host was fine with us camping there. We also drove to Lower Blue Lake tent only and there were plenty of RVs there. Many camp sites right on the lake. However the place was full. More campgrounds were up the dirt road at Upper Blue Lake and lots of boon dockers along Hope Valley, the road in.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:31 AM   #2

Re: Caples Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcnick
One thing I have been scouting are campgrounds listed as tent only. With the Sportsmobile it seems I can go there, but am I allowed? Well there was one I saw on the up to Saddleback Lake that I could not use. The parking was all in one place and one walked a quarter mile to the campground. Kirkwood Lake was one I could park and I may park. It was a tight little area but the host was fine with us camping there. We also drove to Lower Blue Lake tent only and there were plenty of RVs there. Many camp sites right on the lake. However the place was full. More campgrounds were up the dirt road at Upper Blue Lake and lots of boon dockers along Hope Valley, the road in.
I think it depends on at least a couple of factors. Last fall, I tried camping at a "tents only" FS campground and was told by the campground host that I had to have a tent. In that case, the campsites were separate from the parking (but only 20' away)...I don't know what he would have said if I put up a tent but sleep in the SMB. Some other FS campgrounds don't make any distinction even though the parking on some sites may be too steep to park an RV. I would prefer that all campsites be "first-come, first-served" but noted it that can not accommodate vans or RVs.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvrr
...I don't know what he would have said if I put up a tent but sleep in the SMB.
I brought a tent just in case I needed to try this.

I have been using allstays. I am surprised I can't find a button to submit information. Simple things like the link to Kirkwood campground goes to Caples Campground instead of Kirkwood. I would think they would want free data from us to sell their apps. They miss all the campgrounds at Blue Lakes.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #4

The Allstays App does allow you to give feedback on sites. Tap on a campground icon. The last button on the second row of buttons is "Update". Tap that and you can give feedback on that campground.

You can also request new features by tapping the "More" button in the upper right corner of the main screen. Scroll to the bottom to find the button. You can also add places to the App on the same screen.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:46 PM   #5

thanks. I put in the correct link for Kirkwood. It will be interesting to see if it changes.