Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2009, 05:47 PM   #21

Re: Colorado October Meetup '09

Couple Suggestions...

Cripple Creek area?
Somewhere near Rampart?
Sand Dunes?

COJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:20 AM   #22
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

OK, I just talked to someone at the visitor center at the dunes, the passes are/will still be open, provided there is not a huge winter storm that dumps a bunch of snow, and there are some primitive camping spots along medano pass, looks like the temps will be about 60/30. So the dunes look to be a good option with some reportedly good scenic and challenging 4WD trails, medano pass, Blanca peak and hermit pass. There is also pinyon flats campground as well that I think will still be open too. Check out http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=53 for some reports. Also http://www.sangres.com/colorado/nationa ... trails.htm

what do you guys think?
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:06 AM   #23

I've been at the dunes and over Medano pass. There is a post about it somewhere, and I can provide GPS tracks. Lots of great camping between the dunes and Medano, fields overlooking beaver ponds... good stuff.

Bad news Kim & I won't be joining you.. we're closing on a house and have something we cannot reschedule on that Sunday. We're really bummed... I'm going to make the forum weekend September next year so it's a little more open on weather.

Take lots of photos.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:20 PM   #24
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Bummer, so by my count that leaves 2 of us left for the trip, us and COJC, unless more hop on board (nothing personal COJC) it may be a bust. Trailsurfer are you in? anyone else? Saline, still out? where's all you colorado SMB's hiding.
We do look forward to trying again next year a little earlier in the season. The Dunes trails look like they would be fun in the spring with all the water runoff, anyone game to make a springtime run down there. I will post when the time comes. If I don't see you on the slopes, have a great winter all.....anyone have a colorado/ski pass....Vail, Breck, Basin?
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:31 PM   #25

Ref,

No offense taken.... If you still have that ladder, shot me an email with a contact #

john.cianci@gmail.com

I am going to end up staying local that weekend but am always up for getting out there another time.

We go out as often as we can... Have the Breck-Keystone-Abasin pass. for skiing and have a trailer with two snowmobiles for backcountry access. I will likely be parked up in Eagle/Summit county most weekends this winter.
COJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:34 AM   #26

Sorry about missing the thread until now. It sounds like most folks are too busy to make it the 24th and 25th. Both the Black Canyon and the Sand Dunes are interesting and lightly used in the Fall, particularly the North Rim of the Black. Temperatures are highly weather and altitude dependent. The Black is warmer than Gunnison, since it's not the bottom of a valley where the cold air pools, which is likely to happen at the Sand Dunes. The North Rim of the Black is pretty undeveloped, and offers the opportunity to hike down to the river via SOB Gulley for those who like to suffer and dodge some poison ivy. If anybody's planning on being in the area, let me know.
John T.
oldfart3 is offline   Reply With Quote