Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2010, 01:58 PM   #1

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.
Send a message via Yahoo to kmessinger
Crandall Peak Trip - almost

There I was at a 4-way intersection of dirt tracks. None marked with a trail sign and none of them showing on my map - at least as far as I could tell. What are the odds of choosing the wrong one? 1 in 4 you think? If you are with me, the odds are 99 to 1 you will choose the wrong one and off you go on another "venture!"

Lesson one. You know that Northern California Back Country Adventures book you bought? Don't leave home without it.

Lesson two. Your computer with Google Earth and Microsoft Streets and Trips and the associated GPS. Don't leave home without it.

Lesson three. Show your wife the route in the book so when you call via cell for directions she has some reasonable idea what you are talking about.

The route we ended up with took us from the Summit Ranger Station at Pinecrest, SW to Columbia. Some of the roads were good. Some weren't roads at all. Had we been there 10 days earlier we wouldn't have made it because of mud. From the start to the finish some 7 hours of driving, we (Presley was of course with me.) saw no one. Which was good because much of the road was not even wide enough for the Sprinter.

Just past the official time for cocktails we followed a track off the main route to a camp site. We initially drove past the camp site and then had to back-up about 300 feet as there was no place to turn around. We did have a fire permit but I decided not to build a fire. Watched Grease for the 99,000th time and unsuccessfully tried to take pictures of the stars above our camp. We were in a recovering forest area, very pretty with good views. Presley loved it!

Leaving camp the road, trail, track what-ever, got worse fast. Many times the brush on the sides made the route too narrow for the Sprinter but worse were the over hanging branches that I worried would damage the spoiler on my solar. The solar came through fine however with the only event up top being my A's antenna ball getting scraped off but no drama - I recovered it!

One thing I found strange was coming down a steep rocky one lane road was to find a nice, modern two-car bridge followed up on the other side by more one lane terrible road. The Sprinter did an extraordinary job. Only once did I get a side-to-side sway and that was my fault for taking a bump too fast. I stayed in 1st gear 90% of the time and it would have been real good on the down slopes to have a gear lower than 1st. Like "crawl gear" or "climb over rocks gear." And I most likely put about 6 months wear on the brakes in a few hours.

Where I made the wrong turn was west of Mt. Knight on 4N04. I turned left onto 3N03 instead of right. That put us on the long road to Columbia. We followed 3N03 to Italian Bar Road which eventually ended at Columbia. Presley growled at the cows we saw, some with-in 5 feet of his window and watched a squirrel run away from us up the road because it was going much faster than we were, even stopping occasionally to let us catch-up a little.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:46 PM   #2

Re: Crandall Peak Trip - almost

OK, so that's what happened to you.

We drove up from Vallecito but we still should have seen each other.

We made it to the camp area around 4:00. We left a pie plate with SMB written on it on a signpost for FN01 and camped about 50 yards off of FN01 in the restoration area. So did you listen to the sound of cow bells all night? Had we met up, I wasn't going to recommend you take the western end of the road anyway. As you found out, it's pretty steep and heavily rutted, plus all the brush would have (did) made pinstripes all over your pretty Sprinter. Anyone traveling this road should know that FN01 has a sign that reads "ROAD CLOSED" although the road was really open. The sign was there because they were falling trees along the road trying to clear the fire damage away. Unfortunately the 2009 fire damage made the scenery pretty bleak. There was also a lot of cattle in the area. Because of the recent fire damage I would not put this road on the to-do list for a few years.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:00 PM   #3

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.

Luckily there were no cows where we camped but we saw lots of them. I saw several pie plates but didn't really check them out - darn! We camped at N38.16619 and W120.26043. I don't think we missed you by much.

Yes, the road closed signs really made me worry. I pressed on thank goodness.

Pinstripes I guess!!! I was out with the wax today trying to make them go away before Debbie sees them! I may have to buff some of them out!

Glad no other Sprinters signed up. I think most would not have liked the route.

Regards,

Keith
Old 06-27-2010, 03:27 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage

On the way to Wyoming I passed by the start of the trail at Herring Creek and 108 but it looked like the gate was closed. Is that were you started Keith? I headed east about 3 days before you ran the route. And yes, it's easy to make a wrong turn if you don't have GPS and maps. But that trail to Columbia is a nice one too. Sorry I didn't make it but the Teton range was my target.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:54 PM   #5

We started where 4N39 runs into 108 just after the big curve by Stawberry. The only locked gate we hit was at Spring Gap which required backing up a steep gravel hill about 30 feet in the Sprinter. I was surprised I did not have any trouble. After that a hard right over a berm (right front wheel off the ground), down and across a cattle guard. It was after that we got off course . . .

Regards,

Keith