Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2017, 10:16 PM   #11

That's my thought as well. Would not be the first time I reached the limits of a 2WD vehicle. It may not get me to the most remote spot but it sure is fun trying to get there.

larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:29 PM   #12

Yeah, it's fun until you crack your differential on a rock and have to call a tow truck for $1500, or $2000, or whatever they decide to charge you!
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:22 AM   #13

Bumping this thread to ask:

If coming from the West with a goal of getting to the Racetrack, what are your thoughts on: Hwy 190 to Saline Valley rd to Hunter Mtn rd, to Hidden Valley rd, to Teakettle Jct, then to the Racetrack? Lifted 2wd EB350, locked on 35"s with an experienced driver.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:58 AM   #14

I know of a guy who had a 2WD semi-camper van he took off-road in Baja. He fitted it with a Weldtec Designs suspension kit, a LSD in the rear and meaty tires. I think he had a winch as well. He would go deep into the boondocks to ride moto.

He mentioned in addition to greatly improved dirt road and mild trail performance, the suspension made the van much nicer on the road as well.
IanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 12:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post

If coming from the West with a goal of getting to the Racetrack, what are your thoughts on: Hwy 190 to Saline Valley rd to Hunter Mtn rd, to Hidden Valley rd, to Teakettle Jct, then to the Racetrack? Lifted 2wd EB350, locked on 35"s with an experienced driver.

In dry conditions, likely not a problem for your rig. Currently, I imagine there's a bit of snow on Hunter Mountain and as the snow melts there will be a couple of pretty muddy sections.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post

If I remember right, there's one 75yd section on the way to Teakettle, that's sandy. Lower tire pressure will be your friend in the sand, and over the extensive washboard sections between teakettl eand the Devil's Racetrack.

Now, beyond the Racetrack, a few miles south, to your right is the entrance to Lippincott Mine road, which drops you into Saline Valley. (I have a great story about this older couple that followed me and my Suzuki Samurai down Lippincott, in a street tired Acura SUV). I think a few guys have done it in a van, not sure 4x4 is a must (as it's a moderately steep decent) but I'm not sure I'd try with an extended base (EB), or an RB without an 8" lift. There's several stair-step drops on the decent, that would try to high-center a lower van, and catch your rear bumper.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post
If I remember right, there's one 75yd section on the way to Teakettle, that's sandy. Lower tire pressure will be your friend in the sand, and over the extensive washboard sections between teakettle and the Devil's Racetrack.

If you're thinking of that super-fine powder sand in Hidden Valley, the road was rerouted around it 5 or more years ago. That section was always exciting on a motorcycle.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:35 PM   #18

Not at all worried about sand (been driving in 1wd/2wd/4wd in the dunes for 20+ years) and I'll likely just air down (I carry an adequate compressor to air up) to 25-30 as soon as we hit washboard to make the ride more pleasant.

I have no intentions of attempting Lippincott in my van, or solo for that matter. I just would rather stay off pavement as much as possible while in the park and I'm not familiar with my proposed route.

I saw reports (on Adventure Rider) of snow at higher elevations in the park as recent as last week, but nothing that looked like it would stick around for more than a few days.

Any other input is certainly welcome!
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:27 PM   #19

I don't have a map with me but I will submit my opinion anyway. The Racetrack and Titus Canyon can be done in a comfortable sedan. Driving north out of Saline Valley I passed a woman driving a four door sedan about half way out. I asked her if she needed any help. She looked determined to keep going and said "No". When you get to Stove Pipe wells look across the road and you will see a landing strip in the shrub brush. There is a road that leaves from the campground and heads to the hills on the west side of the valley. If you take the road on the right (instead of driving on the air strip) you can travel to the mouth of a canyon in about 3 miles. Nice drive for a 2WD vehicle but if you want to travel up the canyon you will need to have a FWD. Many years ago I saw a Subaru at the end of the canyon. I suspect it was a rental. There are a lot of boulders strewn from one end of the canyon to the other. I suspect the route up the canyon changes with each flash flood. About 1/4 of a mile from the end there is a narrow passageway that chokes the canyon down to the width of our vans. You can measure the width but you should be able to drive through. Lots of other roads in the area that can be accessible with a 2WD vehicle. Just take lots of food and water with you when you set out.
SierraHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:54 PM   #20
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraHawk View Post
When you get to Stove Pipe wells look across the road and you will see a landing strip in the shrub brush. There is a road that leaves from the campground and heads to the hills on the west side of the valley. If you take the road on the right (instead of driving on the air strip) you can travel to the mouth of a canyon in about 3 miles. Nice drive for a 2WD vehicle but if you want to travel up the canyon you will need to have a FWD.

Those are Cottonwood and Marble Canyons & are worth checking out especially Marble. Marble is blocked off to vehicle use but one of the best walks I've done in DV. The last time I was up that way Cottonwood was open and a good drive with 4x4 strongly suggested.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote