Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2017, 08:07 PM   #11

At the moment, I am existing in SC, and plan to retrieve my Sporty from WI in a couple months in time for Spring in the Smokies.

Assuming I do not exercise my growing urge to commit acute employment disloyalty by April and flee back to the Rockies, I have penciled in that weekend to join you!

Count me as a strong interested... if you need money commitment by some time, shout out and I'll pay up even if I end up baggin out.

Cheers!

2014 Ford RB
SMB 4x4
GrumpyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:41 AM   #12
tlg

Garage
Hope everyone has a had a good start to 2017. Over the next several weeks, I'll be putting together a series of links to area activities including mtn/gravel/road bike routes, hiking trails, jeep trails, etc. There are also several companies which run van/mini bus based winery and brewery tours (4 breweries and 5 wineries in close proximity to the site). I'll add a link to gauge interest. Updated list of possible/confirmed East Coast Rally attendees:

1. tlg
2. marret
3. Annie O
4. 86Scotty
5. Wbp (interested but can't commit just yet)
6. GrumpyBadger (strong interest)
7. fw500a (still interested)
8. CarlPaar (looking good so far)
Old 01-07-2017, 09:06 AM   #13
tlg

Garage
As an aside, here's a view from the nearby Three Ridges hike along the Appalachian Trail. The trailhead to this hike is 6 miles from the camping area.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:24 AM   #14
Wbp

Sorry to say I am out Christmas present from mother in law is the same weekend. Happy wife happy life. Hopefully I can be a part of the next one in the east or maybe west.
Wbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:00 AM   #15

tlg, I thought you might enjoy this pic.

It's our Australian Shepard (Zum) on a ridge along the AT just south of where your pic was taken, near Carver's Gap in Roan Mtn. State Park. I saw your pic and immediately thought of this one.
Beautiful pup! Is that an Aussie/Springer Spaniel mix or full Aussie?

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:12 PM   #16
tlg

Garage
Beautiful pic. Love the open ridge. Our dog is a Brittany Spaniel. High energy breed. Simply unable to wear her out. Even mtn biking isn't enough.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:09 PM   #17

Looks beautiful. I am interested but will know more when my kids spring sports dates comes out in next few weeks. Looks great. Me and my 11 yr old son and aust sheperd has camped in our smb and hit most of the IMBA epic mtn bike trails around NC, TN, KY, IN, etc and with upzmtb and his smb but would love to check out VA. I have a season pass and snowboard at Snowshoe, WV and hit there frequently in my smb so not too far away.
subluxation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:21 AM   #18

I'm very excited about this gathering! Just went through the area south of there. My son had an interview at Colonial Williamsburg VA and heading home we took 64 West through Charlottesville- so gorgeous. We wanted to stop at Monticello but it was closed due to the blizzard (sissies) so I may plan a few extra days to visit there too after the gathering.

At this time the only thing that would keep me away is a wedding (my daughter's) which seems to be a moving target (her fiancée is Navy and being re-stationed in early May. The good news there is she and I have discovered that weddings can actually be pulled off quite inexpensively! It's all about priorities, right?

Btw Ooh I love Brittanys. And Australians. And if y'all show up with your trail doggies I will miss my 2 Border Collies (the best breed in the whole wide world) even more than I already do!
Old 01-09-2017, 07:49 AM   #19

We are committed and plan on arriving Thursday to spend the night at Sherando Lake. We will be riding what MTB Project calls the Sherando Lake Advanced Loop on Friday before heading over to the Meet Up:

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/523...-advanced-loop

If anyone would like to join us for the ride that would be great.

Karl and Shara
fw500a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:10 AM   #20
tlg

Garage
Road/Mountain Bike Update:

The Devils Backbone Mountain Cross Bike Ride (road/gravel for 63 or 35 miles) and Blue Ridge Metric Bike Ride (road for 63 or 45 miles) are on the same weekend as the meet up. The Mountain Cross takes place on 29 Apr while the Blue Ridge Metric takes place on 30 Apr. Both start/finish near Devils Backbone and offer classic Virginia riding (with some epic climbs).

https://www.bikereg.com/devils-backb...e-ridge-metric

Speaking of epic climbs, Devils Backbone is also the start of the early May Wintergreen Ascent Time Trial. This road ride is 6.2 miles with 2520 ft of climbing at an average gradient of 8%. Depending on who you ask, its either a Cat 1 or HC climb. Coming back down is also fun. Check STRAVA segment 683356 for details.

For mountain bikers there is a 3.1 mile mostly single track loop on site. As noted by fw500a above, additional single track is available at Sherando Lake (aka Big Levels). There is an entrance fee if you start riding from inside the park. That said, the vast majority of trails are easily accessed off the mostly gravel Coal Rd without a fee. Map:

http://cambc.org/images/sherando_map.pdf

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/523...-advanced-loop