Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2017, 04:19 PM   #51

Thank you all for the consideration, unfortunately we we will be unable to depart our journey for another week it seems. Hope you all have a great time, if you happen to see my rig driving down the don't hesitate to holler at us!
There may or may not be a TW200 on the front bumper.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20170428-181554.jpg  

Flakwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:26 PM   #52

A great time was had by all this past weekend. The crew wound up being myself, Marrett (Chris), Grumpybadger (Steve), FW500a (Karl and Shara), TLG (Lee) and various friends of Lee and Chris with trailers, motos, Sprinters, you name it. The location was wonderful and I hope this meet grows from here.

I got in Friday about 5 after a long 7 hours or so from home, about 4 hours of interstate and about 3 of the Blue Ridge from Roanoke up to Devil's Backbone, just down the hill from the Parkway. Spring is a beautiful time to do the Parkway and it was dead quiet on a Friday. I literally saw about 10 cars. Campgrounds, visitor's centers and ranger's stations are all pretty much deserted even at the end of April. I can't for the life of me figure out why the campgrounds would still be closed.

I shook a few hands on Friday and checked out some rather nice SMB iron and got to know people.

A good shot of the meadow we had to ourselves with Karl (FW500a's) rig in the distance.

The grounds are pretty big at DB. It was only a short walk from our group site to the brewery/restaurant and common area and it was still pretty quiet early Friday evening.

The crowd picked up quickly and some live music was playing while folks wound down from a week of whatever. Mellow scene and great weather.

We decided to check out the restaurant and sit inside though there are several nice places to have a bite or a drink, including an outdoor bar pictured above and a walk-up counter for lighter bites.

As soon as we walked in and headed for the bar we were all pushed to the side while the staff helped a patron who had hit the floor. Later I learned he must've had a couple pints of their barleywine. Damn. That stuff doesn't mess around. We got a table and proceeded to get to know eachother only to forget most everything including the way back a couple hours later. Here's the group of us who showed up Friday.
Sorry for the dark pics.

To be continued....
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:39 PM   #53

Saturday morning offered lots to do in every direction. It was a beautiful morning with great views from base camp.

Some went home to do family sporting events, some took off on motos, some ran errands, the mountain bikers found some trails and I headed up the BRP for a little more exploring and hiking on the AT. I wound up doing a fairly tough 6 mile section that gained 700 or so feet of elevation.

Lots of through hikers on their way North on the AT this time of year. Several were down at DB for a break and a meal but I saw a lot on the trail. It was hopeless to get a pic without people at my destination, Humpback Rocks, just off the AT.

Headed back down, looking Northeast.

When I returned to camp things had picked up! Lots of new folks, rigs and life. Tire kicking around SMBs ensued of course.

More pics of this somewhere...........

Many thanks to Lee (TLG) for putting this event together. It's a great location and hopefully central enough where more folks can make it next time. If beer isn't your passion you should still join in and bring the pets/kids if you want. There is a lot to do for all and a pretty relaxed and inclusive environment.

Til next time.............
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:28 PM   #54
tlg

Garage
A well done overview by 86Scotty. Thanks to all for making the drive and making it fun. Great times had talking all things van related and some things not. Already planning next years meet up. Will be around the same time frame.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:44 AM   #55

Thanks 86Scotty for that nice recap. Also, a big thanks to tlg for putting this together.

It was great to meet everyone and, despite the unseasonably warm temps, we had a great time. Looking forward to the next one...

Karl & Shara
fw500a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 11:19 AM   #56

Garage
Thanks to TLG for putting it all together. Great meeting, drinking, eating, socializing, etc. with everyone.

Very well done 86Scotty (Eric). Thanks much.

Chris
Old 05-04-2017, 08:29 PM   #57

^^^^^^

...though perhaps some of us shouldn't be that close to a brewery for a whole camping weekend.

Ummm... just sayin...
2014 Ford RB
SMB 4x4
GrumpyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote