Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2009, 06:01 PM   #11

Re: Exploring Colorado

CJ,
If you are driving in from Durango there will be a forest service sign on your left for Little Molas Lake not to far before Silverton. If you come to Molas Lake [ which is a Silverton town park on your right you went too far.]
I've never been back in there but I know alot of Hardrockers camp there during the race. The road in is fine.
There are improved campsites at Molas Lake [ the town park] and an awesome view. You may need Resv. if you want to camp there. Mineral Spring Campground is just north on 550.
There was no where to camp going up to Cinnimon Pass unless you want to stay for a night right at the pass. I wanted to but my wife didn't go for it. But I can assure you of some awesome views in the morning. Just be advised that the Alpine Loop is a popular pace for 4 wheelers. But if you get to the pass in the late afternoon[ it's only about 1 hr out of Silverton ] you should have the evening, night, and morning to yourself.
If you skip the turnoff to Cinnimon Pass and go straight you'll end up at Engineers Pass. Plenty of room up there to camp for a night but also a popular place. It's also part of the Alpine Loop and also part of the Hardrock race course. I plan on spending a few nights up there when I go.
On your way out of Silverton towards the Loop you will encounter several side roads. Maggie Gulch and Cunningham Gulch have some places to pull over and camp. Also a few spots around Eureka and Animas Forks.
Do a Google search for more info on the Alpine Loop.

Bob in Tucson

Old 04-28-2009, 09:58 PM   #12
CJ

Send a message via Yahoo to CJ

Man a guy can't ask for more than that......Thanks a million. I'll put this info to use.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:26 AM   #13

Bump since it's July already! When are you leaving?
Old 07-03-2009, 10:37 AM   #14
CJ

9 Days and counting. Not sure if we will actually get out the drive on Sat or Sun, most likely Sunday....Depends on the house sitter showing up, it's important we are leaving three horses and a dog behind..

Old 07-03-2009, 10:01 PM   #15

Typing this from the SMB penthouse in the Silverton. Up here for the Fourth and the weather has been great. Have a good time while you are here. Shoot me a message if you need any tips. This is my backyard.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:22 PM   #16

If you are Coming from the west a good route would be: go through Moab, up into the La Sal mtns and camp up high (Taylor Flat, Geyser Pass). Then head down to Gateway CO. via the Gateway-Castleton rd and on to hwy 141 and across to Lands End Rd up the Grand Mesa. The Grand Mesa is all above 10,000ft and has about 230 lakes on it. The Granby lakes are a pretty cool area that require a high clearance or 4x4 to get to. Just a couple of ideas for you in case you didn't have enough already.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 07:38 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ
BC, I have read about Black Bear Pass.....heh! very tempting, very very!! You say it’s been done in an SMB? Not alone I'm sure. Do you know who?
The owner of Quigley did it in an RB during one of the Sportsmobile Rallys held at Silverton. (Sportsmobile reserved the entire Molas Lake Campground for the Rally.) He said that it was the scariest thing he had ever done in his life. The last part of the run is one-way downhill and the last switchback (according to one of the trail guides) is very tight and requires at least a 3-point turn. The road surface is gravel and you need to be very careful to not get too high on the side was you enter the switchback. Midway through, you will have only two tires on the ground....etc.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:21 AM   #18

After having driven Black Bear Pass in the past I don't think there is any way I would take a SMB on it. Too narrow and very tight switcbacks for a full size 9000lb van.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:58 AM   #19
CJ

Trailsurfer, sure send on anything you can think of, some things for us that are still unplanned.. Where to camp and what the rules are. Is it ok to disperse camp anywhere. I've seen conflicting rules. Plan is pretty much do the alpine loop I'd like to take small side trips, say to a lake and camp a day or two, then move on.

'Got Fishing Spots'

Saline, Thanks for the info, is that a difficult not so difficult route?

yvrr, No intensions to do it this trip however it is interesting for another...me and a good spotter.

Thanks for the ideas.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:26 AM   #20

CJ,
Not too difficult. It can all probably be done in 2wd.