Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2011, 01:58 PM   #1
Site Team

Father-son roadtrip. Looking for ideas

I've started to think I need to do a father-son roadtrip this year, maybe April or May, before my boy gets into Kindergarten and our lives completely revolve around his school schedule.

My son would just be five years old, so I need to keep the driving miles to a reasonable limit, so I wouldn't want to go further east than the eastern side of the Rockies. I'm thinking of National Parks, campgrounds, etc. Some true boondocking would be OK, but I want to balance it with basic necessities/convenience for my son.

Off the top of my head, one place that I know my son would like Dinosaur National Monument (though unfortunately the Quarry doesn't reopen until this Fall), and am looking for any recommendations. Maybe 10 days total including driving time.

thanks,
Herb

Old 02-10-2011, 02:17 PM   #2

Re: Father-son roadtrip. Looking for ideas

Dont know what part of Calif you live

but our Tour de Utah was rocking

Valley of Fire, NV
Utah:
Snow Canyon state park
Bryce
Kodachrome
Coral Pink

all the Utah had parks had showers

Utah offers plenty of bushwacking inbetween

That route a little further east hits some cool Indian stuff
AAA has a map of "indian country"

What ever you pick, it will be a life long memory for him forsure
He is a lucky boy ( and you a lucky man !)
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:30 PM   #3

When my kids were that age, where we went wasn't nearly as important as just doing something with dad. Even long drives were ok.

Big National Parks have some activities geared towards young kids, state parks don't seem to have much. In a National Park you can get a Jr. Ranger kit and some activity ideas. Just remember, he's likely to have as much fun with the box as with the toy inside.

Be sure to find some chores around camp that he can do and feel useful.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:31 PM   #4

At 5 everything is big, amazing and wonderful. I'd say anywhere there are no neighbors will make an impression on him.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:07 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to bettyford

When I was 6 My dad brought me to Jackson Hole and Yellowstone NP. Then we traveled down to Bryce and Zion NP then thru death Valley and over to Mammoth and June Lake then down 395 back to San Diego we were gone 11days.
I loved it so much I now live in Jackson Hole.
It was the most amazing trip I have ever been on.

You are a lucky man.

Ron
Old 02-10-2011, 05:16 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyford
...You are a lucky man.

Ron
Don't I know it. And to top it off, the wife even likes the idea.

It's just far too easy to get completely caught up in the day-to-day of life, and forget about the bigger picture. I also need to keep on my son's good side, he's been in Taekwondo for just a year, and has his Camo belt already (White to Orange to Yellow to Camo). I don't think I'll be in any position to tell him anything by the time he's a teenager.

Herb
Old 02-10-2011, 05:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilson
What ever you pick, it will be a life long memory for him forsure
He is a lucky boy ( and you a lucky man !)
x2. That's why we got the SMB, for the kids. My most vivid memories of my childhood are of camping and getting out on the road with the folks. I hope it's that way for our girls.

That said, in terms of place suggestions, I've found that our girls (6 & 3) really put their hard hats on and get busy when there is any beach, sand and/or body of water involved. I don't know if it is the same for your boy, but just my $0.02.
webbmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:20 PM   #8

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbmac
.. really put their hard hats on and get busy when there is any beach, sand and/or body of water involved. ...
+1

We always tried to plan our trips around hot springs, lakes, etc. Standard equipment in the van was toy shovels and buckets for the kids. And swimsuits.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:24 PM   #9

Last summer I went on a family road trip with my two sons around the same age. Trip report found here.
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie...hp?f=11&t=5341

It was an awesome time and one we still talk about. I made a movie of the trip for X-mas and now it is immortalized forever on DVD. This summer we are planning on another 11 day trip and probably thinking Yellowstone, Jackson Hole route. Would also like to do the Grand Canyon/Bryce, DV route but I am thinking Yellowstone even though it is crowded would be a great trip for them. They have never been.

I was thinking it would be great to have another topic that shows cool and unusual natural events happening at parks or areas around the US. Like recently someone posted the Frazier Ice. In the past others have posted stronomical events or wildflower blooming times. I was lucky enough to be in Estes park CO when the elk were during mating season and their calls echoed through the campgrounds.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:02 PM   #10

Great idea. I do two road/camping trips with all three kids each year. I am sure they will remember those trips for the rest of their lives. I certaninly will.

A mega loop trip thru Utah's national parks and the eastern sierra's would be my pick. Great scenery and many places to stop and boondock along the way.

When my first son was six we did a father and son only trip to DV and saline valley. He is now nine and talks about that trip like it was yesterday. By far the highlight for him was Scotty's castle in DV. That place is incredible and fascinating for kids. Try to fit it in if possible.

Have fun.

R