Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2009, 05:29 PM   #11

Re: Finally made it to the Baja...

Need an update Veg Hed.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:04 PM   #12

All right...Took off from Loreto about a week and a half ago and headed out to Agua Verde. We camped on the beach near town but were not able to pick up some delicious goat cheese like we had wanted to. The road in was pretty rough but I just put it in 4wd low and coasted down the hill. We met some cool gringos anchored off the beach and drank some beers with them. Then borrowed some kayaks off some other gringos and fished and paddled around some islands.

Then headed to La Paz. We camped at the Casa Blanca RV park last night to prepare for another week or so in the mountains near Santiago. We filled up the water tank and topped off the batteries. It was Sunday so the office was closed and nobody was around to collect money, you gotta love Mexico sometimes...We headed into town last night and tried to hail a cab, then tried to call a cab to no avail. Then we decided to flag down a bus...I asked the guy, "Centro?" and he said, "Si" but he took us all over the different neighborhoods of La Paz. We got out at a supermercado and finally found a cab stand and took it the rest of the way into town near the Malecon. I had been fishing for the last 8 or 9 days so I was really craving some carne and liquor...We hit up the new beach side "Papas and Beer" restaurant and got our fill of margaritas and Mexi/Gringo food. We loaded up on supplies at the CCC today and headed south. I needed to get on-line to take care of some stuff (the internet at Casa Blanca does not work so well) so now we are at the East Cape RV park in Los Barilles doing laundry and exploiting their pool and hot tub. I'm going to bike around to try to find a Mexican phone card and call the states; wish me luck.

Tomorrow we are headed to Agua Caliente to further work on our sunburns, soak in the springs and do a little hiking in the mountains. We may head to Todos Gringos (Santos) after that to see if we can catch some late whales but who knows?

I took a bunch more pics but I'll have to post them later...

One negative note...It looks like we have a mouse living in the van with us. The only thing I could find in La Paz was one of those inhumane sticky traps but I can't stand that little mofo eating up any more of our rice, oats or triki-trakes (cookies). The cupboard is cleaned out and the trap set...We'll see if we catch our new friend tonight.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:27 PM   #13

South of Loreto...Not a bad spot
Attached Thumbnails
not a bad spot.jpg  
Old 03-10-2009, 10:43 AM   #14

Man oh man I'm jelous. My work is at a near stand-still right now, so was hoping to head down there for a week of dirt biking, but my riding buddy can't make it. Sounds like you are having a blast with the Topolino-mobile. Wait, that's Italian. "Raton'-mobile!"
Old 03-17-2009, 01:23 PM   #15

Caught the two little mice that were traveling in the van with us so now all is well. I don't think I will ever travel to the Baja again without mouse traps. What a headache....Anyway, spent about a week at the hot springs near Santiago then opted not to do the loop to Todos Gringos (Santos) and instead visited some folks in La Ribera that we met last year. Then drove to Punta Conejo for a night on the Pacific...There was nobody around and the camping was great. Now we are back in Loreto heading out to a campsite for a night or two and then maybe north to Mulege tomorrow.

The weather here has been spectacular this year...I think it's just about time to pop open a Ballena of Pacifico and try out my new neoprene Ballene coozy. It is the size of an American Quart of beer and it has the Rockstar energy drink logo all over it with the words "Party like a Rockstar!" I found it at a Pemex in Ciudad Insurjentes for 50 pesos.....It was a purchase I couldn't resist.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:35 PM   #16

I too had two mice living with me in baja in my sportsmobile!!!!!!!!!! Funny looking back on it now, but definitely not at the time.
lisajsiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:17 PM   #17

When I was a kid we picked up a colony of ants in Texas on our way into Mexico. A little over two months later, back at home, when we were unpacking the emergency only supplies and blankets from under the rear seats we discovered a huge colony of fire ants including a queen, which had made themselves a nest under the driver's side rear seat. How none of us got bit or ever saw an rogue ant during the trip is a mystery to me, but the shock at pulling off that seat and seeing 1,000s of ants going about their nest is something I'll never forget.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:32 PM   #18

Mouses hate the little suckers. (I'm a Donald fan!!!) Anyway, a few years back we were camping in our plane and unbeknownst to us one set up house keeping somewhere. Didn't want the dirty rat chewing thru anything important (and there's not much unimportant in a plane) so set a trap when we got home. Smap, bam and the dasterly deed was done.
Then around nine months later, during the annual inspection, I pulled up the floor to check out cables etc. and there were four little babies (yes dead ) all curled up in a little nest. Hate for anything to go like that, but they weren't paying rent and the thot of me making a fire ball from 10,000 feet kinda harden's one's heart.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:57 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

Scatter-
How'd you get that old beater 172 up to 10,000 feet
Bill
Old 03-26-2009, 08:08 AM   #20

Hey, with that hopped up engine, I had the beast over 16,000 to clear a storm in Baja. And that was with the missus, a motorcycle, inflatable boat, outboard motor, and camping gear. At least I didn't drag my tail all over the place....

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote