Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2009, 04:43 PM   #1

Finally made it to the Baja...

Finally made it down...We drove from Tecate to Catavina the first day...Then all the way to Bahia Conception the next...Then we hung out on the beach for a few days, drank beers and got sunburned. Now we are in Loreto drinking more beers and working on our sunburns...

The van ran great on the way down...I even got it up to 96 mph on some straight stretches. Then I started worrying about suicidal cows. We will probably hang out here for a few days and try to bum some kayaks off of a friend. I also need a fishing license...Then south bound...
Attached Thumbnails
Escondito Sunrise.jpg   Daisey sportsmobile.jpg   Escondito.jpg  

Old 02-18-2009, 05:32 PM   #2

Re: Finally made it to the Baja...

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing.
2003 Baja Tan SMB EB DYO 7.3 Diesel

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Pack it in Pack it Out>>>> https://www.trasharoo.com
adventureduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:41 PM   #3

Looks like a nice place to be

DAVEF
Old 02-19-2009, 10:58 AM   #4

Great sunset picture!
Safe travels.

2008 SMB EB-52, Quadvan 4x4, 6.0 PSD SOLD
2017 Ford Transit T250 148WB mid-roof w/ Quadvan 4x4
bitburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:06 AM   #5

Good job Veggie,

If you head south of Cabo Pulmo on the East Cape Rd. to the cross roads and "Cross Roads Country Club", have a shrimp sandwich for me!! Great pics too!
Old 02-19-2009, 12:36 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage

great looking...keep the pics coming. Put in some campsite pics for Saline.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitburger
Great sunset picture!
Safe travels.
That's actually a sun rise pic. over Playa Escondita...

I don't know if I'll head all the way to the East Cape road this year. We did that last year...However, I really want to hit up the hot springs near Santiago and hang out on the beach south of Todos Santos...Right now we are camped about 20 miles south of Loreto. I found a place where I can surf the net if I buy a beer. It's a win-win... I do have to ride my bike about 2 miles down this rough dirt road though. So the beer taste even better when I get here...
Old 02-21-2009, 02:54 PM   #8

Veg Head,

I am green with envy. We did Baja last year and couldn't make it down this year due to a project I have going that I couldn't leave.

Just South of you is a great beach camping spot you should check out. Turn off at the small town of Ligui and there is a great little beach where you can camp free and there is an eclectic group of travelers that hangs out there. We spent 3 or 4 days there last year. Turn off at the town and follow the road to the East. The road will fork at a wash and you want to the left.

The beach just to south of the camping area is a paradise for anyone collecting shells. I had a hard time getting my wife to leave it. You can reach this beach by hiking trail along the access road. If you go there is an older couple that stays at the South end of the Beach all winter "Keith and Betty" he is great and has been traveling to the area for many years and is a wealth of information. You may also see a rolling resort (large plush RV) with a Jeep Rubicon, their names are Bob & Liz and they are great people. The leave the RV and explore all over Baja either by Zodiak or Jeep. He will definetley know of trails less traveled. Anyway if you stop and meet any of them say Hi from John & Dana.

Also on the way back if you stop at Bahia De Concepcion I would recommend venturing inland to Ray's Place. It is a restaurant just inland (about 2 miles) from Mulege that is run by a Cuba/American named Ray. The food is really incredible and Ray is an amazing host. He also has a small campground by the restaurant if you want to escape the wind along the beach.

We have more info and pictures on our blog. www.lasswelladventures.blogspot.com

Have fun!!

John
Old 02-23-2009, 11:09 AM   #9

John & Dana,

Actually checked out Luigi and it was mostly full. The areas that were open were not sheltered and well, too open. So we headed back down the beach and found a much more secluded spot. However, there are friendly gringos and kanucks down the beach here as well. So it feels like a safe spot. And a place for the internet is about a 2 mile bike ride to the nearest tienda where I can also buy jugs of water and get my ballenas of Pacifico filled. My buddy was managing a kayaking outfit here that was ran out of an "eco-resort" called El Santuario south of Ensenada Blanca. It was bought up by some developers last year and they are really changing the landscape in the area. There is even a guard house discouraging anybody from driving down the road. A little tip though, you might be able to get through if you say that your are just going to the beach or if you offer them some beers or some sweets. You can see Luigi just to the North and there are some nice sheltered spots to pull a SMB, but I wouldn't bring anything bigger, or without 4wd.

Yesterday we took the kayak out and I caught a spotted sea bass...My first fish in the Baja. We fried it up in the skillet, seasoned it with lime and lemon pepper and served it with cous cous and fresh veggies from the Loreto farmers market. At this pace I'm never going to have to leave this camp spot.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:27 PM   #10

I think I know the spot you are talking about with the guards. It is just south of Ligui and you get there by going right at the fork that takes you down to Ligui. We were just driving around one day last year and pulled up to the guards and they just waived us through and said it was fine to camp on the beach anywhere we wanted. There were a few rigs scattered along the road in various little spots along the beach.

John