Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2012, 12:00 PM   #11

Garage
First track day of the season

Larrie, did you go with a particular group or just show up? I have a Honda enduro race car that I really want to take out there. I also would love to take my son who is only 16 to drive as well. Some groups have insurance for drivers under 18 but they are tough to locate. It looks like a blast of a track.

Brad

Old 03-04-2012, 08:25 PM   #12

Brad

A friend of mine is part owner in the tack so I got permission to be on the infield at the turn stations to photograph. Spectators can just show up. Drivers need to register. Will send you sign up links via pm.

Larrie
89 Ford 2WD penthouse
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #13

Garage

Cool. I sent the call out to my kart buddies. One has a panoz and the rest have bikes. We all have cheap clone karts for pats acres. That track is begging us hard. It seems like $350 is the cheapest we could get on there and only for 1 day. Is that right? The membership looks fair but I'm no serious enough for 5 days out there.

Brad
Old 03-04-2012, 10:30 PM   #14

Brad

The event shown is for cars which is what I thought you had. If you want to run karts go here http://northwestroadracers.com/. They are having an event on May 5th.

Larrie
89 Ford 2WD penthouse
Old 03-05-2012, 12:53 PM   #15

Re: First track day of the season

Larrie,

Thanks for the pictures. It looks like a great track. There is nothing like going to a track whether its to drive or view cars on the track.

I grew up in the Northeast and we always went to road races at places like Pocono, Watkins Glen, Lime Rock, Etc. I bought my first van in 1977 and I used it for camping and going to Van Ins and such for many many years. In the late 70's thru the early 80's there was a huge van only event at Watkins Glen called Van America. If you wanted to and your van could pass a tech inspection you could drive on the track. Some of us took the chance and got to drive our vans quite hard around the track for a few laps and it was very fun albeit a bit scary in a van. That was my first track time. Since then as a member of SCCA as well as the Porsche and Audi clubs we did a bunch of track stuff as well as Auto Crossing and Ice Racing (http://www.cnyira.com/ ). I moved to GA in 2002 to work at Porsche Cars North America and did the Porsche Driving Experience (both the on and off road courses) at least three times at Barber Motorsports Park. I also did Audi and Porsche Club driving events at Road Atlanta and Atlanta Motor Speedway.

Since Moving to CA I have not driven at any track events (sold a bunch of cars to move out here and haven't replaced them yet) but we still like to go to the races whenever possible (off to the 12 Hours of Sebring next week). We love to camp at Laguna Seca it is such a great camp grounds and it happens to be at a great race track. We must have camped there 8 or 9 times last year for races and Porsche and Audi club events and just to camp.

At any rate it is nice to know there are other road racing fans on the forum. Thanks again for the pictures and bringing up fond memories of track time.

Oh and also don't forget that anytime you get to take a driving instruction/track class you take that with you for life. Its the best money you can spend as every vehicle you have will perform better and safer because of what you learned on the track.
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:09 AM   #16

Cool Larrie, looks like a great track, and i dig your SMB! Very rare, in fact, I've never seen one over here of that body style.
One reason I keep putting off my pop top is my addiction to BMWs, and I'm dying to get my latest find on the track. If it didn't need so much work, I'd be autocrossing it already right not, but it's working as a daily driver.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #17

Nice beemer. Their club, BMW-CCA, is a great resource for learning how to drive well. The Golden Gate Chapter runs excellent track days at our three NorCal tracks, as well as driving control clinics and autocrossing. I'm off this weekend to do a test and tune day with them; it's basically a roll-your-own even to dial in suspension, etc using a skid pad, slalom, and mini autox course. I am a huge advocate of everyone taking a least one real driving course, and doing it with a club is the most economical. Porsche, Audi, BMW and others run excellent events. And unlike some recreational events, this helps you in your everyday life. And might save your life.

We should do a SMBs-at-a-track campout some time. As we've noted, Laguna has a nice real campground. Thunderhill is very accommodating, and there are some great offroad areas nearby. And it's beautiful in the spring up there.

And staying at Infineon has the added benefit of nearby wineries.

Rob
Old 03-09-2012, 10:54 AM   #18

Wish I could join you! I'm thinking of a van trip to Road Atlanta this spring for a superbike or SCCA event.

On BMWCCA, I'm not only not the president, I'm also a member!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #19

The video of the cars in action is now posted on YouTube, http://youtu.be/WgMxGQwMe44