Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2016, 08:27 PM   #1

First Trip to Deep Baja. Need Diesel???

Hey all. In a few weeks we will be taking a surf trip down to Scorpion Bay. 5 guys total in my van. Boards and gear up top. I'm really pumped!!

My only concern is that with this being my first trip to deep Baja, do I need to worry about the availability of diesel? I've done trips several hours south of Ensenada and been fine, but never gone this far. Most of the crew is the same and those that have been before, haven't been for 10+ years.

I am thinking of bringing along 10 gallons with me, but concerned that won't be enough. What is it like when you get a ways south?

We are thinking of hitting the Cortez for some fishing possibly on the way too.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!.....Nick

- Nick S. in Oceanside....1998 Ford Club Wagon Chateau HD, 7.3L PSD, 4" Turbo back exhaust. Still a 2wd van with 3.55 floating rear diff. Sitting with a 4" Weldtec Designs bent I-beam lift with Agile Offroad tuned Fox shocks. Still have baby tires (245s) but loving the van more and more each day.
nicksandvig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:50 PM   #2

You'll be fine. Plenty of diesel along 1.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:09 PM   #3

From what I hear too I will be fine with my 2wd van. I have Goodyear All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar tires.
- Nick S. in Oceanside....1998 Ford Club Wagon Chateau HD, 7.3L PSD, 4" Turbo back exhaust. Still a 2wd van with 3.55 floating rear diff. Sitting with a 4" Weldtec Designs bent I-beam lift with Agile Offroad tuned Fox shocks. Still have baby tires (245s) but loving the van more and more each day.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:51 AM   #4

Just don't get too far off the beaten track with 2wd!
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 09:09 AM   #5

Thanks for the insight rallypanam . Should be a lot of fun down there. Hope to post some pictures soon.
Old 07-16-2016, 12:08 PM   #6

x2 on fuel availability. No problem. As I recall Road 53 north out of Ciudad Insurgentes is paved past your turnoff to San Juanico. That last bit may also be paved by now... haven't been out there in years. Highway 1 is in great shape. Stay out of the sand and you'll have a great time!

Joe
2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 12:39 PM   #7

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
We have a couple of customers in Scorpion Bay through all of July and August, so you may see some of our vans there.

Jan and I are going to be there one week in August as well - just not sure on the exact date now.

Do you know what route you will be taking down?

Bringing extra fuel is always a good idea.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:02 PM   #8

I'll definitely keep an eye out down there for some fellow vanners, as I do everywhere I go. But, I'll have my envious eye on the Agile equipped rigs.

Route is still up in the air right now. But that could be the best part. I built a simple roof top rack to hold 15 gallons of diesel last weekend, so any uneasiness of lack of available fuel is put to rest.

I'll be sure to post some photos after we get back. Really appreciate all the insight!
Old 07-22-2016, 05:12 AM   #9

You are pretty close to Jake at Aerotanks in San Bernardino (or Agile in San Diego, they work with Jake, too).

Jake has many options for larger/supplemental tanks gif diesel vans. Might be worth checking out. He has a 46 gal unit that is compatible with 4wd van conversions, so it could be used when converted to 4x4. Both Jake and Agile can install for you.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:46 PM   #10

Diesel is not a problem. We spent 59 days and 1800 miles exploring Baja this past winter. We have a 46 gallon capacity tank but never dropped below half before refilling.

Tags
availability, baja, bay, diesel, scorpion