Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2018, 12:38 PM   #1
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Gateway Road Utah- March 23-31

Hey all, spring break is almost upon us. We were planning on heading to Moab but noticed the Red Rock 4X4 Jeep club will be there at that time, we've been there during these gatherings in the past and while it's fun to post up and watch some of these rigs make their way through some of the obstacles on the trails and see ALL those Jeeps from mild to wild in one place, it gets very crowded and generally clogs up most of the 4X4 trails. Anyway, we might end up in the Moab area before heading home, but it's not really our priority.

We have decided to explore another nearby region, Gateway Road and the spur roads off of it between Gateway and Castleton/Castle Valley just E/SE of Moab. The area we are looking at exploring includes Beaver Mesa and parts of the Monti-La Sal Natl. forest. No set plans and we may have others joining us on our adventure. Looking at finding some scenic spots to camp and hike, explore canyon and mesa trails, check out abandoned mines and find some nice fishing spots. If anyone is planning on being in the area or wants to meet up with us on our excursion, the Gateway Colorado Automobile Museum on 141 along the Delores river would be a good gathering spot on the morning of Saturday 24th to check out some cool cars before we head off on the trail.
Classic Cars at The Gateway Colorado Auto Museum

CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:28 PM   #2

We'd love to join you, but it's just too close to the departure date for Nepal. Your cutting it kinda close too huh? Have a great time.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:47 PM   #3
REF

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
We'd love to join you, but it's just too close to the departure date for Nepal. Your cutting it kinda close too huh? Have a great time.

Yes, close but Alex has been prepping and will be all packed up b4 we head to Utah. Besides, we don’t have as far to travel as you would. Next time.....

'03 Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
SMB RB50 w/CCV top
Quigley 4X4 w/Deavers & Agile RIP kit
CCV High Profile Pop Top
Old 03-15-2018, 08:02 AM   #4

We are picking up our van from CCV on the 23rd and headed that way as well to hit Arches and Canyonlands on the way home back to Oregon. At the very least it would be fun to stop by and say hi.
04QuadBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:12 AM   #5
REF

04QuadBear-For sure! If you get out of CCV on schedule
If you decide to join us, you can boogie west on 70 and take 141/50/141 at Grand Junction to Gateway, we might take a bit more scenic route when we shove off on Friday early afternoon, 285 to 50 over Monarch Pass, up to Delta and then pick up 141. There's a good chance we will overshoot 141 a bit if we go that route and grab a spot Friday night at James M. Robb-CO river state park(there's 2, we'll be at the one behind the dinosaur museum in Fruita) before heading down to Gateway Road.
EDIT:we may change our camp spot fri/maybe sat night to Highline Lake State Park just north of Fruita with some friends before moving on to Gateway
Lets stay in touch, if you are wanting to join us when we shove off from Boulder or meet up in Fruita or Gateway. Either way, Gateway road is a mostly graded dirt road, easily done by most rigs, there might be some water crossings, a great shakedown first run and a much more scenic route than 70 to Canyonlands and Arches.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
Old 03-15-2018, 09:25 AM   #6

REF- Ill PM you my phone number... True story on the CCV timing. I am planning to call today and see how the progress goes. I had planned to hit Glenwood springs Friday for a soak. But we are pretty flexible. We need to grab some groceries Friday but other than that we are ready to rally as long as Chester is ready at CCV. I just looked up your route on the map. I haven't been in that area in probably 20 years. ill check with the wife but it sounds like a great route to me.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:19 PM   #7
REF

Here’s a new hot springs spot as an alternative to the often crowded big pools at Glenwood hot springs, never been but had some friends go and said it was really nice.
https://www.ironmountainhotsprings.com

SMB RB50 w/CCV top
CCV High Profile Pop Top
Old 03-19-2018, 06:35 PM   #8

Thanks REF, I had heard about this place too, but have never been. Did you get my PM? I talked to Derek at CCV this morning and he said everything was on track for our Friday morning pick up. Fingers crossed!!! What is your timing for leaving Boulder?
Old 03-19-2018, 08:46 PM   #9
REF

Gateway Road Utah- March 23-31

Yes, I did get message, been trying to coordinate plans with friends. We leave Boulder Friday afternoon to make our way to Highline state park campground for at least Friday night. Check availability for Friday night for a spot if you were wanting to stay there. I’ll get in touch with you before we leave. Good news on getting the rig on time, looking forward to checking it out!
-Rick

SMB RB50 w/CCV top
CCV High Profile Pop Top
Old 03-19-2018, 08:56 PM   #10

Garage
Hey, possible meetup with you guys if our vectors can cross:

it looks like we're on track to be enroute West from Kansas City on the 28th, headed West/Southwest through CO/Utah and then down through Moab area enroute to Flagstaff. Probably be rolling through Moab area by around the 30th, if you guys are still in the vicinity would be super cool to cross paths with some of ya.

Only caveat: our SMB won't have off-road capability (yet....)

Happy/safe spring-break trails to everyone, regardless.
Cheers --- MTBRoamer
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote