Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2012, 09:52 AM   #91

Re: Goler Wash/Barker Ranch/DV Spring 12

Here is the current tally. Viejo,Charlie56,Tapatio,Chris Thwaites,Angel,Yvvr and Woody. Charlie56 will most likely meet us in Ballarat on Sat. am. I will arrive at Trona Pinnacles late afternoon Friday
Woody, as for the route, the only preplanned route for this group is the Ballarat/Goler Wash/Mengel Pass/ Butte Valley/ to Westside Rd. leg. I would like to visit the talc mine at the end of Galena Rd. which takes off of Westside Rd. just north from where we come out of Butte Valley/Warm Springs Rd. onto Westside Rd. This spot is about 2 miles off Westside Rd. and has sweeping views across the valley to Bad Water Rd. It's also 2wd accessable with high clearance. After that I'm open for mostly anything but I do want to get up to The Race Track. If folks want to stay together or go off in different directions makes no difference to me. I've only attended one other meetup at Toroweap and it did not involve any group travel. We just met up and camped in one spot for several days. so I'm not sure of the dynamics here. I imagine there will be numerous variable agendas.
Chris

07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:55 AM   #92

The whole thing sounds good to me, I am open for anything. I plan on spending 2 weeks in the area.
I will also be at the Pinnacles by late afternoon on Friday.
Is there a CB channel we will be using?

Woody
Old 03-01-2012, 12:24 PM   #93

How would channel 20 work? I'm new to CB stuff. I'm more of a VHF boat guy.
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Old 03-01-2012, 12:56 PM   #94
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Thwaites
Daveb,
Many thanks for this info. This is perfect and as you say a quick run to Ballarat. The bonus is I haven't driven hwy 178 before.
To those of you who are planning this trip, the Friday night meet up will be at the Trona Pinacles.
Chris
Yeah, I think Ballarat is about 30 miles from Trona. For fuel, there is a little mini mart at 178 and Gateway in Ridgecrest (as you leave town) that has good prices for gas/diesel.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:08 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Thwaites
How would channel 20 work? I'm new to CB stuff. I'm more of a VHF boat guy.
Channel 20 works for me. I used CB's from early 70's to early 80's when I lived in Montana. Just installed one in our SMB for off roading.

Woody
Old 03-02-2012, 08:31 AM   #96

Works for us too....
Old 03-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #97

I just got back from Panamint Valley. Didn't do Goler/Mengel pass, but a guy I met had gone over the day before and said going up in my van I might have difficultly (I've got an EB Salem-kroger) due to lack of a locker; folks were having trouble on the lower fall because the stacked rocks had gotten knocked around and it was pretty damp and slick. In fact there was a guy above there in a rented Jeep Liberty. He had gotten winched up by another guy over that part, but later flatted, and was proceeding east because he needed to be back in L.A. And he was driving on the doughnut that came with the Liberty. That must have been entertaining.

They got snow in the Panamints a few days ago, but it was warming up fast. The washboard around DV is about normal, and for some reason the place is empty. Maybe it's gas prices: $5.70 ish for 87 in the park, except at Stovepipe, where it was $5 even (?).

I'm not sure if someone mentioned it earlier in the thread, but the Slate Range trail is real fun, and it puts you right near the base of Goler. Kinda like driving over bowling balls towards the end, but up above it has the best views of Panamint Valley IMHO.

And if you need a hot shower and cold beer, Panamint Sprgs has campsites for as low as $7.50/night.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:13 PM   #98

Rob,
Thanks for the info. The lower falls are a good test. I made it a couple of years ago on wet rocks after moving a few to better fill the big gaps. I did use my front lockers but felt I could have made it without the locker. I don't weigh as much as a fully equipped EB though. It will be interesting to tackle the falls but with seven vans we should be well equipped to winch or pull as necessary. Air down, low gear, take it easy, pay attention. Should be fun.
Chris
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Old 03-13-2012, 11:23 PM   #99

Below is a screenshot of Google map with Mengal Pass Road in blue. Chris' Galena Road is in red. I included Slate Range trail in green. I'm thinking of taking that "shortcut" (long way) from Trona instead of going through Ballerat. We can re-meet up again where Gohler Wash and Slate Range come together. Anyone else have any places or routes that you want to propose to the group?

Here is a link to the map.
http://g.co/maps/et2a6

If you PM me your email address I can give you access to the map so it can be a collaborative effort on choosing routes and places to visit.

Attached Images
File Type: tiff April 2012 Trip Map.tiff (115.1 KB, 48 views)
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:02 PM   #100

Viejo, Tapatio, Angel, Yvvr, Woody,
This route looks like more fun to me. I'm all for it.
Can you each send me a your private email contacts.
Chris
07 BMW 525xi wagon