Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2011, 05:33 PM   #1

Goler Wash/Barker Ranch/DV Spring 12

OK folks. I'm no good at making plans but Let's start with some tentative dates. This winter is looking to be very dry at least in the Bay Area. Early April if it's been dry would likely keep us out of the mud. I have never been to Race Track so that's on MY list as well. From my home it's at least a day and a half to hit Panamint Springs. I would look at a rendezvou point near Tehachapi???

07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:53 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: Goler Wash/Barker Ranch/DV Spring 12

I'm in. Just tell me the dates. Barring an unscheduled business trip, I will work it in to my calendar. I've never been to the boondock areas of Death Valley, otherwise I would volunteer to coordinate this. Someone else needs to identify the camping/caravaning spots.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:12 PM   #3

I'll be watching this post to see what comes together. My schedule moves around so much, I'll just hope I can make whatever gets set up.

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:56 PM   #4

We might be interested. If you are looking for just a place to camp on the way down, I've stayed at Tehachapi Mountain Parks a couple of times and it is fine for an "in route" stop over:

http://www.co.kern.ca.us/parks/tehachapi.asp
Old 12-22-2011, 07:52 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage

Goler would be questionable in 2WD. It changes. Unless someone runs it first I'd be leery sending in a 2WD even with a locker. Don't get me wrong, when I did it, the trail was reasonable. You just don't know.
You can read about the spots I've been to on the forum or at my site.

Needless to say, DV is big.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:38 PM   #6

Garage

I led an SMB Rally through Death Valley in Winter '08. We camped remote all nights except for the prelude night when a few of us arrived early and stayed in the 'campground' lot at Stovepipe Wells. I'll be happy to join or share my extensive knowledge of that place. You can still find threads here about that outing.

Dave is spot on, Goler Gulch in 2wd is not at all recommended. And that takes all the fun away.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:01 PM   #7

Mac,
I was going to comment on the trail not being 2wd but now I don't need to. When I did it it was only 2wd for short legs and the rest was scary even for 4wd. With a convoy of vans and some winching and towing you could be dragged over the tough spots. Might not be fun. But since Toroweap it appears your van has undergone major mods. I guess you replaced the front bumper you tore off on that big rock. Who knows where this thread will lead but it would be nice to see you again.
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:08 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Thwaites
Mac,
I was going to comment on the trail not being 2wd but now I don't need to. When I did it it was only 2wd for short legs and the rest was scary even for 4wd. With a convoy of vans and some winching and towing you could be dragged over the tough spots. Might not be fun. But since Toroweap it appears your van has undergone major mods. I guess you replaced the front bumper you tore off on that big rock. Who knows where this thread will lead but it would be nice to see you again.
I watched some videos on YouTube showing Goler Gulch. No thanks. I value my SMB too much to have it damaged in that canyon. There would have to be a pot of gold at the end of the canyon (to pay for repairs) to make it worthwhile to me. I don't want to hurt my baby again!
Old 12-23-2011, 10:18 AM   #9

Like Dave said, the trail is variable. When we went to the Barker Ranch it was easy in 2wd. Of course the ranch house had not burned down either.

Racetrack is well worth the visit. If you continue past Racetrack a mile or so there is a nice place to camp. Actually it was an official camp spot, but has been dropped from all the Park documents. It was listed on an old map I have.

April may be too early for Racetrack. It depends on the weather. The playa has to be dry for many weeks to allow walking - otherwise, you will sink in the mud, and that can get you a pricey ticket. You are not allowed on the Racetrack when you might leave tracks, and the tracks can take 20+ years to disappear.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:16 PM   #10
Site Team

Garage

Now there is no reason for the group not to split and re-meet somewhere else... like at the geologist cabin. I mean what a great way to capture it for the rest coming over the pass. There are other spots in the Stripped Butte area that can hold more vehicles.

We have always tried to keep the group small so we could grab most any spot fro the night, but someone could always grab a spot while others are coming their way. If you get a list of how many people plan to go, it would be easier to figure a basic route and suggest places to meet up at. Most of DV is doable with Mac's setup.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote