Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2010, 09:06 AM   #1

Gonzaga Bay Fishing Report

We took the SMB down to Gonzaga Bay, Baja California, Mexico for some fishing, diving, and camping on the beach.

The new paved road (Mex 5) now is open to El Huerfinito, and well graded to Okie Landing.
The last 20 miles are the same old road, easier to drive in the desert next to it than on it.

One 3 hour session fishing from the kayak yielded 1 barracuda, 1 sierra, 1 male hogfish, 1 female hogfish, 2 trigger fish, 3 Corbina, 9 pompano, and 28 spotted bay bass.

I really didnt fish, just dragged a lure behind the kayak.

Tackle was a 7' inshore spinning fishing pole, clear 10 lb line, 9" 20 lb black wire leader, and a 5/8 oz blue/mackerel Krockadile lure.

Corbina for tacos, and sierra for ceviche. Mr Bosco loves fish.

Weather was OK with ~ 1/2 the days windy, water and air colder than normal.

Only one SMB problem, the new Lifeline AGM D4 battery I installed 6 months ago was too discharged to even show a voltage after 4 days on the beach only being used for 1 light, 1.5 hours each night and the water pump.

The new propane fridge we installed was great, only using 1.5 gallons of propane for 7 days on the beach.

jstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:54 PM   #2

Re: Gonzaga Bay Fishing Report

Nice work, John! That's awesome! That's quite a bounty for multiple days, but especially for 3 hours.

What beach did you end up staying at? Was the road down paved any farther than El Huerfanito?

Great report, I hope we can hook up and drive down there sometime soon.
webbmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:49 PM   #3

Quote:
What beach did you end up staying at?
We just stayed at our same old spot on the north end of the beach at Papa Frenandez. My wife REALLY likes being able to walk over the hill to the rancho and have them cook when its windy.

Quote:
Was the road down paved any farther than El Huerfanito?
Hwy 5 is paved all the way to the bay right north of Okie Landing but you must exit it at Huerfinito, however they have graded that ~ 8 mile stretch so its quite a bit faster.

Quote:
That's quite a bounty for multiple days, but especially for 3 hours.
Actually I only had the lure behind the kayak for 2.5 hours, I had to take it out of the water or I would have never gotten back to camp! I had multiple throw the lure behind me, take 3 paddle strokes, catch a fish... repeat.

Quote:
I hope we can hook up and drive down there sometime soon.
We are thinking about San Basilio over x-mass, leaving Dec 18th, PM me!
jstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:20 AM   #4

Send a message via ICQ to jlrray Send a message via AIM to jlrray Send a message via MSN to jlrray Send a message via Yahoo to jlrray

That looks awesome. I have to try that one day. My wife feels sketchy to go down there with the kid, so it may take convincing.
jlrray is offline   Reply With Quote