Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2011, 10:56 PM   #1

Good So Cal Beach Camping Spot Ideas?

Looking for some ideas on places to beach camp in Southern California, say maybe between San Diego up to the Pismo area or a little above. Just camped at Bolsa Chica State Beach with some other members here for the meet and greet. I found the actual camp spot way to crowded and closed in and didn't care for folks sitting around the campfire behind my rear doors looking in (even though they were great folks). Much prefer a little space in between the next camper and myself. Are there any Beach camping spots that offer a little more privacy?
Thanks
Eric

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:01 PM   #2

Re: Good So Cal Beach Camping Spot Ideas?

Not exactly private, since they are official campgrounds but nice nonetheless:
  • 1. Jalama Beach near Lompoc
    2. El Capitan in Santa Barbara

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:20 PM   #3

Garage

Steve's tips are good, but still campgrounds. There's no place along the CA coast to camp remotely. It's either busy noisy campgrounds or head inland slightly and find a spot in the coastal range. I've found isolation that way.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:01 AM   #4

Thanks for the ideas. I usually camp remotely away from campgrounds in the desert but would like to find some locations for family camping near the beach. I have camped at the Oceano State campground many times in the tent spots and although there are others around you at least there is some space in between each site. Nice location and gives the feel of being in the mountains with the trees, but you just walk over the dune and the beach and dunes are right there.

Keep the ideas coming. What about Malibu, Refugio and those type areas that seem to be a little more removed from the big city? Is there camping at these stops that is worth while? Hookups are not first priority.
Eric

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:16 AM   #5
Site Team

We like South Carlsbad State Beach campground. It is usually crowded in the summer, but a great place in non-summer months. The problem is one must register seven months in advance and the place sells out quickly. For a May campsite one must register on the first day of November starting at 8:00 am. Usually there are no sites available after 8:30. That's the problem with camping at the beach in California -- too many people and too few sites.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
There's no place along the CA coast to camp remotely.
Not Socal but not bad.
40.272996° -124.347531°
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:23 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie56
Quote:
Not Socal but not bad.
40.272996° -124.347531°

The coordinates above look like a great location, but they are in Northern California rather than Southern California.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmcintire
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie56
Quote:
Not Socal but not bad.
40.272996° -124.347531°

The coordinates above look like a great location, but they are in Northern California rather than Southern California.
The coordinates given are approximately for where the Mattole River meets the coast. This is the northern boundry of the BLM Lost Coast wilderness. There's a little BLM campground there.

It is very windy there.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:27 PM   #9
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMRIDER
Looking for some ideas on places to beach camp in Southern California, say maybe between San Diego up to the Pismo area or a little above. Just camped at Bolsa Chica State Beach with some other members here for the meet and greet. I found the actual camp spot way to crowded and closed in and didn't care for folks sitting around the campfire behind my rear doors looking in (even though they were great folks). Much prefer a little space in between the next camper and myself. Are there any Beach camping spots that offer a little more privacy?
Thanks
Eric
How about San Clemente State Park? Not remote but the camp spaces are further apart compared to the other ones nearby.
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMRIDER
What about Malibu, Refugio and those type areas that seem to be a little more removed from the big city? Is there camping at these stops that is worth while? Hookups are not first priority.
Eric
In Malibu there is Thornhill Broome, right on the beach. It is like a strip of road adjacent to the sand, and very close to PCH. Not bad but not private. Also, there is Sycamore Canyon too which is on PCH but not on the beach side and may be less noisy and have some trees. Haven't stayed there.

When I first got my SMB I stayed at Malibu Beach RV Park. Yes it is an RV Park but elevated above PCH and beautiful view of the ocean. The non-hookup sites are quieter, and smaller so no big RVs. I liked it for a quick getaway.

Regarding Refugio in SB, I prefer El Capitan. I believe spot #84 is the one with the awesome dead-on ocean view.

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote