Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2009, 06:16 PM   #1

Headin to the Pacific Northwest. And eventually Death Valley

We are leaving Utah tomorrow morning and heading North. We hope to hit up some Hot Springs on the way in Idaho and Oregon before getting into Portland to hang out with some friends. After P-town we are heading south to Crater Lake then the Redwoods, Death Valley and anywhere cool an between. Anybody have any cool recommendations?

Old 11-03-2009, 06:29 PM   #2

Re: Headin to the Pacific Northwest. And eventually Death Valley

This would the perfect opportunity to use the new "Campsite by Location" thread.

If only we had more participants feeding me data. ...

Thats a rather large area: Do you want parks, towns, backroads, boondocking? Do you have any type of itinerary worked out yet? I.e do you have a 2-days or a week to spend between Portland and DV.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:33 PM   #3
Site Team

The Mount Shasta area in NorCal is gorgeous, though I imagine the snow is starting to build up there. Of course there's always scenic Fresno with SMBw. A must see if for no other reason than to see the production line.

Herb
Old 11-03-2009, 07:07 PM   #4

If you're headed for the redwoods, it's probably not an option. But if you change your mind and head east, definitely consider Steens Mountain. You could then head south through Nevada toward Death Valley.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie56
This would the perfect opportunity to use the new "Campsite by Location" thread.

If only we had more participants feeding me data. ...
Remember that only Subscribers can see the section with Campsite by Location so it wouldn't do Veg Head any good (upstanding forum member that he is notwithstanding). If you had sites and posted them from there to here it would defeat the purpose of having it restricted from public view (google and, you know, camping riff-raff like we all were at one point).

As far as the trip goes, sounds great, take lots of pictures. I've got some stuff going through Christmas Valley in OR, and if you're around Wolf Creek can point you to some BLM land & other stuff.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:47 PM   #6

Check out the Oregon Caves Natl Park in southern Oregon. A bit of a drive off the hwy but well worth a tour
stevepar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:01 AM   #7

Head west out of greater Portland on 26 over the coastal range - beautiful low-mountain drive to the coast. Stop at Post 18 at the 18th mile marker for lunch or just a break - interesting old logging post. When you hit the coast hiway, head south a couple of miles to Cannon Beach - one of the most spectacular ocean vistas on the northern Pacific coast. If you want to stay the night, check out this place:
http://www.cannon-beach.net/searanch/
Searanch is a private, funky, very decent RV park - cum - cabins business that is way better than the rip-off parks along the coast road. In Cannon Beach, find the Tolovanna Inn (southern end of the beach) and eat at Mo's on the beach - cheap, local, and good. The whole drive from Portland normally takes less than 2 hours. Have a GREAT time and post pics!!
1972 Mercedes 350SL with 4.5l V-8, just because
Wag more, Bark less, Play well with others.
Psomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:35 PM   #8

Thanks for all the great recommendations...We will probably head down the coast in a few days. Just got into Portland this evening. We hit up a few State Parks on the way but so far Craters of the Moon National Monument was by far the coolest place we have seen thus far. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veg Hed
Thanks for all the great recommendations...We will probably head down the coast in a few days. Just got into Portland this evening. We hit up a few State Parks on the way but so far Craters of the Moon National Monument was by far the coolest place we have seen thus far. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.
I hope you stopped at EBR-1 near the Craters of the Moon. The first nuclear powered reactor to generate commercial electricity in this country. Now decomissioned and open for self guided tours. Very interesting.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 12:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350

I hope you stopped at EBR-1 near the Craters of the Moon. The first nuclear powered reactor to generate commercial electricity in this country. Now decomissioned and open for self guided tours. Very interesting.

Mike
We did not stop by EBR-1...I saw that on the map but didn't know what it was at the time. Bummer, I would have liked to check it out. We are planning our route south. Oregon Dunes, Oregon Caves and Crater Lake are on the agenda. Then into NorCal...