Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2010, 07:29 PM   #1

Heading to Alaska 2010?

We are planning to head to Alaska in late June, staying for a month or two. I suspect we will take the ferry both ways to minimize the longer driving days for the kids.

I'm starting to pull together our supplies and build a itinerary from the wonderful trip reports but I was wondering who else might be heading up this summer.

If you are heading up, add an entry here and we can get an idea who we might see in our travels.

Mark

2008 SMB EB-52, Quadvan 4x4, 6.0 PSD SOLD
2017 Ford Transit T250 148WB mid-roof w/ Quadvan 4x4
bitburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:55 AM   #2

Re: Heading to Alaska 2010?

Yeah, we're heading up the last part of July for a month. Driving both ways. Probably be there after you guys. Maybe you could cache some diesel for us....

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:39 PM   #3

We drove up and ferried back a couple years ago and found that to be a nice combination. We kept the driving days fairly short with lots of exploring. My two boys are a bit older than your kids, but they did fine with lots of books on hand.

One place that I don't think makes many peoples itinerary and we found out about during our trip is the side trip to Cordova via ferry then drive out and camp at Childs Glacier. The campground was impeccable and listening to the glacier calving all night was unbelievable. It was voted top 1 or 2 places we visited and camped within my family. The Million Dollar Bridge just past the campground that looks iffy to cross. It underwent some repairs and is a bit mis-aligned. We did cross it after the campground host informed us he saw a large tractor cross it then he took his semi across (that he hauls his 5th wheel trailer with). It was a fun day exploring the road up until it disappeared into a river and was clearly unused on the other side.

Million Dollar Bridge
(Notice how my youngest son is intelligently standing on the wrong side of the guard rail. We are such attentive parents!)

Feel free to look through the blog my wife kept at http://jachofamilytrip.blogspot.com/

It makes me want to go back just thinking about it.

Have a fun trip.

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:32 AM   #4

I have no reason to drive to Alaska. I don't know why anyone would want to go there!
Carry on nothing to see here! Keep moving! No stoping! Alaska has ceased to exist due to global warming!
If you make it to Anchorage look me up. I will be in Dawson City, YT June 25th for D2D (Dust to Dawson) Dual Sport gathering and out of town from a couple of days before and after. I also do travel a couple of weekends during the summer. But would be happy to meet up for food or trip advise.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:27 AM   #5

Send a message via MSN to bettyford

Alaska was a great for us last year we were gone a month. we drove both ways didnt want the crowd of the boat. BC and YT turned out to be just a amazing as Alaska some parts even better for us The camp grounds in Canada are the cleanest and nicest of any i have ever been in. and range from $7 to $12 a night. we went in late Aug and All of sept so we were by ourselfs no crowds. This year we are going back to Canada and explore the west side of the Rocky Mt. Have a great trip and get the "Mile Post" it is full of info and a must have.

Ron
Old 02-17-2010, 02:02 PM   #6

Scatter,
If you buy me a trailer, I'd be happy to cache a few cans of diesel for you. Heck, maybe I'll even throw in a few MREs for snacking.

Phil,
Thanks for the pointer on the campsite and the trip blog. We are planning on many of the same places so your trip tips are timely and helpful. My kids are big readers so they can entertain themselves well as long as the books hold out

Bones-GSXR,
Dust to Dawson would be fun although I'm concerned that my kids would stay up too late, start trouble with the BMW riders, setting a bad example for others.

Ron,
I agree that Canada is beautiful although BC and AB were the destination of previous summers and this year we are off to further North. In fairness, the kids will go anywhere but I haven't been to Alaska in a while and I'm in the mood to go.

I've ordered a Milepost, got some gold pans and fishing rods and now I just need to whip up the excitement within the family.

2008 SMB EB-52, Quadvan 4x4, 6.0 PSD SOLD
2017 Ford Transit T250 148WB mid-roof w/ Quadvan 4x4
bitburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:33 PM   #7

We are headed up for three or four weeks to the northern Yukon starting the third week of July. I have flown into the north end of the Dempster Highway to Inuvik before to do a wilderness canoe trip, and now have the urge to drive there.

Make sure to see the Arctic before it melts, and it is going fast!
Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:47 PM   #8

Send a message via MSN to bettyford

I LOVE PLANING TRIPS. We are a lucky bunch.

Ron
Old 02-17-2010, 11:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Montana
We are headed up for three or four weeks to the northern Yukon starting the third week of July. I have flown into the north end of the Dempster Highway to Inuvik before to do a wilderness canoe trip, and now have the urge to drive there.
Make sure to see the Arctic before it melts, and it is going fast!
I ride to Inuvik every other year (did it last year so heading South to Skaguay,Hanes and Juneau this summer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitburger
Bones-GSXR,
Dust to Dawson would be fun although I'm concerned that my kids would stay up too late, start trouble with the BMW riders, setting a bad example for others.!
If you have ever hung out with us at D2D you would be more worried about our bad example for your kids! Actually it is a fun day for all. We have a number of Yutes that have been along for years. My son (18) is planning on riding up this year.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:32 AM   #10

I may actually finally make it up there this year, but don't think it would be in June. Still sussing out this summer.

I have to finish the Quadvan before I can go anywhere.

Paul