Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2014, 06:16 AM   #1

Honeymoon boondocking suggestions near Fresno?

On November 11th I'm traveling to Fresno with my beautiful new bride to pick up our brand new Sportsmobile and hit the road for a few weeks. (She planned the wedding. I planned the honeymoon). I sure would appreciate specific suggestions for off-the grid sites on national forest land within a few hours of Fresno.

I love to fish and always prefer to be near running water. We already have some reservations at Yosemite, and at Kirks Creek Campground in Big Sur, but I've been dreaming for months about someplace off the beaten track to surprise her with.

I've been reading the forum for many months but never posted. Looking forward to being part of this amazing community.

After the trip, heading back to Kentucky via a southerly route.

mattador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:07 AM   #2

Re: Honeymoon boondocking suggestions near Fresno?

Is it just me, or does that entire subject line seem like an oxymoron? Putting "honeymoon" + "boondocking" + "Fresno" together just seems wrong...

;-)
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:08 AM   #3
Site Team

Garage

Welcome and congats on both your new wife and new van. November is hit and miss in the upper elevations but there will be a few option. The main concern would be several camps and roads will close on the first but some areas are open year round. Contacting the Sierra Ranger District in Prather Ca can help. The good thing is you will have some areas to yourself compared to the rest of the year. I'd suggest you take a look at my web site. Areas around Dinkey Creek are nice. Bald Mountain is open for a little rock climbing if your van is outfitted for that. Fishing will be lake only as the season will close but check the DFG for rules... some areas stay open year round.

Work your way back on the site:
Sportsmobile 4x4 adventures
The Kings River and Black Rock come to mind but some areas around Yosemite might be a good choice just note some of those areas have burned. Feel free to Message me (PM) if you need more info.

Enjoy

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:30 AM   #4

Welcome to the forum I'm glad to see a fellow kentuckian. I hope your honeymoon goes well maybe we can meetup sometime. I'm in bowling green
4x4sporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:50 AM   #5

I'm an Easterner too and have no idea what would be open as I've only been in that area during Summer, but we loved King's Canyon and Sequoia NP. We did The Great Western Divide Hwy (190) which you could run South to the Kern River area and Lake Isabella. Then the sky is the limit over off 395. Bishop, Lone Pine, Mono Lake then maybe over to Death Valley. You could head to the North Rim of the GC on your way home, which is super quiet and lots of boondocking I've heard. Then Lake Powell/Glen Canyone, Monument Valley area, Sedona area. Dude, sky's the limit if you're headed east from Fresno IMO. Some of the most beautiful parts of the Southwest, and probably the best time of the year to be there. I'm sure locals can elaborate much more, but a trip we made a few years ago was this route in reverse almost.

viewtopic.php?p=76962#p76962
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:40 AM   #6
Site Team

Garage

This is a nice little spot that is easy to get to and is a camp spot but hardly ever see anyone. Its on your way into Yosemite just past bass lake.

Sierra National Forest
Oakhurst-North Fork, CA 93634
37.420465, -119.560572
Map

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
Is it just me, or does that entire subject line seem like an oxymoron? Putting "honeymoon" + "boondocking" + "Fresno" together just seems wrong...

;-)

I'm with you. 3 words I would never expect to see in the same sentence.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:25 PM   #8

Garage

Upon the 'delivery' of my van at SMB, I headed up Sonora Pass and also visited Yosemite NP. Kings Canyon and Sequoia are open all year, too. Quite beautiful there.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:29 PM   #9

Now let's be fair and open minded. First this lovely couple are getting married. Second together they ordered a Sportsmobile at some point long before the wedding night. It seems to me this is a marriage that cannot fail. How many of us had to get past the cold stares of our lovely partners when we first mentioned Sportsmobiles? This couple are way ahead of the curve. Third....Fresno....THE honeymoon capital of the Central Valley!!!! Find an open pass headed east and away you go. DaveB knows some fine and secluded spots. Congratulations and please send some pictures and welcome to the Forum.
Chris AND Ruth
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:30 PM   #10

Congratulations! We also honeymooned in our Sportsmobile -- 10 years ago this fall. Note the sign taped to the awning! http://octopup.org/oregoncoast

Our first night testing all our van systems was in an official campground -- at Shaver Lake.

The next day we climbed (4x4) nearby "Bald Mountain", and boondock camped at the summit, next to the fire lookout tower. (Here's a map: http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CA-168/Images/SierraOHV.gif. We did the south approach, from Dinkey Creek Road.)

After revisiting Sportsmobile in Fresno to touch up a few minor issues, we worked our way north along the Oregon Coast, trying to avoid campgrounds when possible. I wasn't very good at recording GPS locations back then, but our website gives some location names.

-- Geoff