Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2016, 09:41 PM   #1

Garage
idaho desert hoo doo's and lava rock river gorge

wife and i took an adventure with a couple of gents from expo who does monthly adventures/gatherings. he posted a few pix but wouldnt say where it was. i was able to coax it out of him, but i was sworn to secrecy and promised i wouldnt post where it was online. once i got there i understood why. i found one piece of trash in our camp and surrounding area. needless to say the area was amazing and pristine. we saw a few hunters and one other couple hiking around and that was it. we were the only ones camped out all weekend.

the hoo doos were really neat. not what i was expecting to see out in the desert. we hiked around for hours looking for early indian drawings the gent who organized the meet read about, but we were unsuccessful. those two bailed out and sought out a cave they read about, we went into town to grab an sd card and ate at a local mexican place that came highly recommended. we found a card in the little nothing town and headed back out into the desert. caught some great sunset pix and the wife got some cool time lapses.

following day we set out after the river gorge. it was nuts. in some places it was 30' deep and only 2-3' wide. others it was 30' wide and 1-2' deep. there were logs out there that had to have come from 20+ miles away. was mind boggling. the rock formations were endless. we hiked maybe a mile and saw so many different formations, the camera just couldnt do any of it any justice.

wife took over 500 pix, so these are just a few i took from her real camera, and both our phones. if you guys like and would like to see more, just lmk. ill post more

"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:55 PM   #2

Looks like a great place. Can understand why the guy wants to keep is quiet.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:58 PM   #3

Awesome!! So I'll be up there next week and you don't have to tell me where it is..you can take me there?
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:02 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by saline View Post
Awesome!! So I'll be up there next week and you don't have to tell me where it is..you can take me there?
if the dates jive, np. as long as you dont make me camp with jason, lol. kidding of course
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
Old 10-28-2016, 07:37 AM   #5

Looks so fun- I Love trips like that exploring new places! I lived in w. Montana and 'think' I have been through there, hmmmm. Love Idaho.

Some of your other photos looked familiar so I'll pull out some maps and send a guess in of a different trip you posted- I recognized a river valley.

Looks like you two were having fun!
Old 10-28-2016, 07:57 AM   #6

Sounds like a great spot. I like the pic of the SMB tucked in with all the large rock formations!
Old 10-28-2016, 08:40 AM   #7

Garage
^^^ we could have tucked in all the way, but it would have put us too close to the firepit and I didnt want to make an additional one, so we left ourselves exposed. still there was no one around anyway, so it really didn't matter.

and x2 larrie. most people ive shown photos to locally had never even heard of the place. some have even hunted in the immediate area and didn't stumble in there. so its not well known at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie O View Post
Some of your other photos looked familiar so I'll pull out some maps and send a guess in of a different trip you posted- I recognized a river valley.

Looks like you two were having fun!
that sounds fun, please do send guesses! a wheres waldo of sorts

and yes, we had a blast. gave the wife her photo bug back. shes chomping at the bit to get back there, but its been raining here a lot, so were just waiting till it drys out a touch before trying to go back in there.

oh and fyi these are 2 completely different spots. they are a good 45 min apart. just thought id clarify...
Old 10-28-2016, 08:54 AM   #8

I am inspired by y'all- this forum has excellent picture stories of trips! Usually i get home and wonder why didn't I get a photo of this or that? I tend to just photograph details for sketches I made- not so interesting to anyone else.

I already located one map, will look after chores or this weekend. I used to have topos sheets of the entire western border of montana/Idaho divide taped together but not sure I still do
Old 10-28-2016, 01:33 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage
Looks like some cool vistas. There are a lot of places I'd like to see in the Idaho area.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 03:34 PM   #10

Really cool stuff, looks like a magical place! I'm not sure what was more craggy though, the rocks or your feet....
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote