Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2015, 09:04 AM   #1

Immogene pass via Sportsmobile

This is an old Youtube vid, but was this any of the forum regulars? Is there a trip report with more info? We plan to do this run this summer. I did it in a Jeep and parts of it were pretty extreme. I know Zeta has done it but he'll take his SMB places I would be afraid to take a Jeep!

http://youtu.be/WdNjrUdzyOI

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:40 AM   #2

Re: Immogene pass via Sportsmobile

That was one of the runs for the 2066 Sportsmobile Rally held at Silverton, CO but we all did it starting at Telluride. I don't like shelf roads but I don't recall getting that concerned about the width of that trail. I do recall that we met some commercial Hummers coming down the road just after leaving Telluride. They climbed up the inside hillside and we all folded in our mirrors to get by them.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:23 PM   #3

Garage

How about that low overhang when going into Yankee Boy Basin from Ouray, before the climb to the top of Imogene? I have been over it a few times in my 4Runner but that cut-out would concern me because of it's height.

2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
skyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:18 PM   #4

One of my favorite trails anywhere for beauty and views. Have been over many times in many vehicles. Only once in the SMB.

Don't hesitate to do it in your SMB.

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:11 AM   #5

We drove Imogene in our Isuzu Trooper back in the 90s as part of our trip back from Alaska. Had no idea what we were getting into; the visitor center in Telluride recommended it as a nice 4x4 trail. The drive up from Telluride was fine, but the backside was treacherous, due mainly to a combo of snow (it was end of September) and a sticking clutch in the Trooper. My wife still shudders to this day when she thinks of the backside of the trail, when a few times the truck literally slid sideways and dropped a foot on the rocky sections, with the sheer dropoff to the left.

As we were coming down we came across a small convoy of Jeeps that had started to come up the backside, but turned around due to the snow and conditions. I guess our guardian angel was working overtime that day.

I can't quite imagine doing the backside of the trail in an EB SMB. Props on that.

That makes me think: would the section from Telluride up to the top be doable in a 2WD EB SMB with a LSD rear? We might be in Colorado this year with the van and it would be a cool drive if so.

Attached Thumbnails
imogene1.jpg   imogene2.jpg  
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote