Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2008, 12:24 PM   #21

Tecate is open from approx 6AM to midnight (reports vary). Immigaration is on the right as soon as you cross. Bank is right there or across the street. At least that's the stuff I've read on Bajanomad.com. I do not know if the bank will be open on X-Mas which is importatnt to us, but other than that, all tell its an easy crossing.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:28 PM   #22

Hummm, any idea if the bank is open on a Saturday (that's when I would be going through)? I don't know where you live but an other option is go get the visa at a Mexican consulate.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:35 PM   #23

I live in the middle of nowhere. I'd check the posts on bajanomad.com regarding tecate. Tons of up to date info on that site.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:40 PM   #24

I am going to do a post on the site and let you know if I find anything useful.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:38 PM   #25

Here is the info to get tourist card

Cross at Tijuana where there is a 24/7 bank teller by the INM office just for payment of the tourist cards...

OR

Get a pre-paid tourist card at Discover Baja Travel Club (or other organizartions/ businesses), and just have the INM official stamp it when you enter the country.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:55 PM   #26

If crossing at TJ, I'd recommend you park at either of the pay lots at the border (US side), cross on foot, get cards, walk back to your Sporty and the drive across. Some suggest you pull over to the declare parking area after you cross, tell them nothing to declare, but getting cards, then get the cards. I like the walk across way best. Don't forget your Mexican car insurance. I shop around, but year after year, we go through Lewis and Lewis.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:52 AM   #27

The problem with walking across then walking back is you just added 1 to 2 hours to your trip. The border crossing is brutal right now. Most of the people I've talked to without the Sentri pass have been looking at a minimum of 1.5 hours (even on foot) and a lot of 2+ hour waits.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:59 AM   #28

Anything is better than this. Only made it 100 yards before I turned for home this am. Barely made it. Fuel, winter fuel mind you, gelled. Even plugged it in when I got home last night. Its below zero. Hopefully the wife can find some anti gel when she gets off work late this evening.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:34 AM   #29

Hummm, that doesn't sound promising. I'll be traveling with my girlfriend, can I leave her in the Van (past the border) while I get the Tourist Card or do we both have to go in. I imagine the walking across the border is a safety issue... Would be nice to avoid crossing the border twice...
BTW -30 in Montana, my whole Van is frozen...
Old 12-16-2008, 09:37 AM   #30

One more thing... Seems that the crossing in Tecate might be an easier choice. Can you pay for the tourist card with cash?