Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2013, 05:45 PM   #1

Jackson and Glacier NP

We will be heading up to Jackson Hole and Yellowstone on August 24th. Will be there in the Gros Ventre are for two nights then off to Glacier NP for the next 5 nights. After that to Stanley Idaho for 3 nights via a stop in Couer D'Alene for a night. If anyone is in any of those areas, say hello. Will post report and pics after the trip. Cheers

2010 BMW GSA 30th
medicfernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:19 PM   #2

Re: Jackson and Glacier NP

Sounds like a nice adventure. Hope you have a great time.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:26 AM   #3

Garage

just a heads up, there is a fire happening around stanley right now. we had planned on heading that way this weekend, but decided against it as the wife wants pix and the last 2 times weve been through that area, the smoke from fires happening at the time kinda ruined the photos she got.

not sure what part of stanley you were planning on staying, but redfish lake camp area and lodge has been evacuated as of 7-24 and I havent heard any updates. i also heard there are temporary road closures to give right of way to fire personel, but nothing permanent. they did say to avoid the road if possible, but were very explicit in saying that there is still LOTS of places to camp/stay and not to avoid staying in the area. i think they are worried about losing bussiness. i would really hope the fire is out by the time your going to roll through, but it is fire season here and its extremely dry right now. just something to keep an eye on.

the sawtooths are absolutely beautiful, theres also a lot of natural hotsprings in that area, hopefully they get the fires out soon.

let us know the dates you plan on actually being in the stanley area. we could easily pop in and say hi if the dates jive.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:14 AM   #4

Be careful out there! I'm subscribed to the Facebook updates for YNP and Glacier, and there have been quite a few reports of deaths or serious injuries recently, from climbers falling to a family of three getting hit by lightning in Glacier. Crazy.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:58 AM   #5

Thanks for the input everyone. Unfortunately areas around Stanley seems to burn every year. Sounds like this one is actually close. If necessary we will alter our return route. We are always definitely careful and safe as possible without altering our ability to still have fun and adventure. Thanks again
2010 BMW GSA 30th
Old 07-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #6

Bring your passport, when your in Glacier you'll be so close to Waterton NP. When you do the "Going to the sun road" over to St Marry's you can take the Chief Mountain Hwy up into Waterton, its worth a few hour stop there.
gnty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnty
Bring your passport, when your in Glacier you'll be so close to Waterton NP. When you do the "Going to the sun road" over to St Marry's you can take the Chief Mountain Hwy up into Waterton, its worth a few hour stop there.
And do the drive into the Many Glacier area. Beautiful up there! The campground is first-come, first-served, and often fills up in the morning, but it's in a really nice location. We couldn't get a spot, which was a bummer.

I couldn't convince my wife to do the short drive up into Canada (10 miles or so from the Many Glacier road). I wanted to get my son into Canada for his first time, even if we just drove over the border and back again. My wife pointed out (probably rightly) that it might take us a long time to get back into the USA if Customs wanted to go through all the cabinets in our van. So, we skipped it.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
And do the drive into the Many Glacier area. Beautiful up there! The campground is first-come, first-served, and often fills up in the morning, but it's in a really nice location. We couldn't get a spot, which was a bummer.

I couldn't convince my wife to do the short drive up into Canada (10 miles or so from the Many Glacier road). I wanted to get my son into Canada for his first time, even if we just drove over the border and back again. My wife pointed out (probably rightly) that it might take us a long time to get back into the USA if Customs wanted to go through all the cabinets in our van. So, we skipped it.
Very beautiful area! You were soooo close, to bad you weren't able to make the extra few minutes over the border or even the short drive to Waterton, your chances are actually much better that customs would not have done anything but asked a few questions. Are you back in Philly? I spent a couple years there, great area!
gnty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnty
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW

Very beautiful area! You were soooo close, to bad you weren't able to make the extra few minutes over the border or even the short drive to Waterton, your chances are actually much better that customs would not have done anything but asked a few questions. Are you back in Philly? I spent a couple years there, great area!
I wanted to, but my wife nixed it. We wanted to make sure we had enough time to drive home and still see things en route. We'll probably head up to Niagara Falls or something to "bag" Canada for my son.

Yes, back in Philly now.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:44 AM   #10

Great suggestions, thanks everyone. We plan to take the passports and go into Canada. We were thinking of trying to get a spot at the Apgar campground. Any other suggestions on nice campgrounds would be appreciated. Any other must do's or must see's? Thanks again
2010 BMW GSA 30th