Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2013, 07:29 AM   #211

Garage
Re: Jackson Hole "Meet and Greet" June 21st thru 23rd

great pix everyone. love that area, would have loved to have made it.

saw a few rigs I thought may have been headed to m&g, but I dont see any of them in the photos...

this one was in boise right off highway wednesday before meet.

saw this one thursday at hospital in idaho falls thursday before meet.

then saw brown hightop e350 at the one store in picabo idaho with its hood up wednesday pm after meet, but didnt get a photo (was just ready to be home).

did talk with member larrie while in idaho falls. hope the advice for applebys was ok (im really the wrong guy to ask about eating, lol).

"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:28 PM   #212

Well it has been three weeks since meeting you all in Jackson and I am finely getting around to posting photos of or trip.

Corvallis to Glenn's Ferry ID. via Bend through central Oregon. A long stretch was along the Malheur River. All of this was incredibly beautiful. Unfortunately I was in drive mode and did not stop for photos. Someplace along the way we lost the main seal and started leaking oil. We stayed in the Idaho State Park at Glenn's Ferry. Great showers and campground. Parked next to a family in a Euro Van.

Day 2, Thursday, found us in limping into Idaho Falls and Broadway Ford to get the seal fixed. Figured out that from Glenn's Ferry to Idaho Falls we got 23 miles to the quart of oil. All I can say is the Tim and Frank rock. We were back on our way on Friday afternoon.

The hotel we stayed in was right on the Snake River. There is a walking trail along both sides of the river that we strolled around on Friday while waiting for the van to be fixed. The falls is actually a dam that was built. Originally the river flowed over rocks forming a rapids.

Rolled into Gros Vantre Friday evening to a warm welcome. Really enjoyed meeting and getting to know everyone. The view of the Tetons was great.

The drive home took us through central Idaho. But before we got there we stopped at this rest area along the Snake River.

We stayed Sunday night at Craters of the Moon. They have a very nice campground and interpretive center.

If you have not been there it is basically a lava landscape with lava tubes and caves you can explore.

The following day we drove through the Blue Mountains along the Oregon Trail, now called Interstate 84, and stopped at Hilgard Junction State Park west of La Grande. This is a tiny state park tucked between a massive hill and the Grande Ronde River. If you know a bit of Oregon Trail history this is the campground that the pioneers stayed at after lowering their wagons down the hill using ropes and drag logs. Met a nice family from Canada who were doing a road trip in a GTRV converted GMC van.

Someplace along the trip I got this great idea for rinsing dishes.

My thanks to all of you who I talked to while dealing with the oil leak. Your comments were greatly appreciated and helped balance out the stress.

Am looking forward to meeting more of you at the next M&G.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:25 PM   #213

Well, we finally made it home this week after a month living in Vanessa. I have been having fun making HDR (High Dynamic Range) images from triple bracketed hand-held exposures with my Canon 5D MkII using HDR Efex Pro 2 from Nik Software in Lightroom. Here is our campsite at Gros Ventre campground:

And here is one of the places we stopped on a drive Saturday afternoon:

After the M&G on Sunday, as suggested by Ron, we drove up the Gros Vantre corridor past Crystal Creek and spent the first night along the river:

Ron told us we would have no trouble with our 2WD on the gravel road. The second night we drove up a dirt (not gravel) road about half a mile and camped here:

This was a great secluded spot and we watched the Elk chase across the field and watched for bears. Thanks for the bear spray Ron! We didn't need it but we did see some fresh huge tracks later identified as wolf.

It rained overnight and we found out why this road was not so great for 2WD after all. The dust turned to mud! This is especially a problem for a dually. I had to keep tires on the hump between the ruts for fear of scraping our plumbing. We made it out without getting stuck and having to call Ron's towing service! It was very scary but the Sprinter performed well and it was good we had lots of weight in the back.

Next we visited and photographed Yellowstone, Beartooth highway, a scenic drive in Montana, Theodore Roosevelt National Park, and then picked up two grandchildren in Madison and camped a week with them.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:35 PM   #214
Site Team

Great pictures Dave. I want to see more pictures of your entire trip, including the grandkids.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #215

Wow! Unbelievable shots! Thanks for sharing. We enjoyed meeting you guys and glad you had a great trip.

Eric & Kristie

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:57 PM   #216

We didn't make it to the event, but rolled into Gros Ventre campground the weekend after the event was there. The host checking us in said, "There were a bunch of those vans here last week." Later that night I was chatting with a nice retired lady from Florida camping in her GTRV, and she mentioned someone from the Forum group invited her over to camp with the SMBs.

Bummed we missed it, but cool to see all the pics posted here!
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:45 PM   #217
Site Team

Garage

In honor of the one month anniversary of Ron's M&G, I'll add some campsite pics:

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:55 PM   #218
Site Team

Garage

And a few of the boondocking we did after the M&G at Ron's direction. (Turns out this butte is the terminal moraine for the Pinedale Glaciation, the last one in the valley. It receded some 10,000 years ago and was probably witnessed by human eyes.)

Some riders in the sky:

And an SMB, too

Plus a couple more from the first, pre-M&G campsite

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #219
Site Team

Garage

Lastly, some misc. trip pics:

The Grand Teton from the south at the pass overlooking Mesquite Creek

and from the west at the mouth of Teton Canyon

dayhiking up the canyon

and a tributary to Teton Creek

Then we went home, bidding the Tetons farewell

Driving east towards DuBois via Pinnacle Buttes

And the red sandstones of the Wind River Reservation

Old 07-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #220

Enjoyed seeing the pictures....hope to make a camp out in the future.

DABEE a 2006 Ford EB250 with penthouse top.
Life Is Good.
danamrak is offline   Reply With Quote