Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2013, 05:38 PM   #1

Jackson Meadow

Turning another day trip into a camping trip we went to Jackson Meadows Reservoir. Pretty basic Forest Service Campground, but the maps left out some things. They show one or two campgrounds but there is Fir Top, Woodlands, and Finley. Then there is Silver Top group camping 2ea and Woodlands picnic area and a boat ramp. It should be considered one campground but it good to know these names if reserving on line. The last couple of miles in is dirt, but easy. However south of the campground is rough 4X4 forest roads.

I love the Monte Carlo not recommended. Don't even try it. Since the '60's when the sign was made, swales were made to channel water, and they are big. Even where the road is good most 4X4s would high side on these.

Jackson Meadow camping was very civilized.

I brought my dirt bike to explore where the camper could not go. The extra weight made the van ride better. I swear there is more weight on the front than the back. A 1983 Honda 200 is a bit of joke as dirt bikes go, but it did the job. I bought in new in 83 and it is good to still be using it. More of a mini bike or glorified trial 90. The rear fender with tail light broke off the first day.

I turned on the dog alarm for when I was gone.

First run was to Bowman Lake. Most people come up from Nevada City. Amazing how many people were there. Picture doesn't show how big the lake really is.

Then off to Faucherie Lake. This is very cool. Only one group campground here. Perfect place for a 4X4 Sportsmobile get together.

Then I made a run to Meadow Lake. I guess most people come in from 89 to this one. Check out this campsite right on the water!

We did our fair share of yachting. See the length of my oars. Give me a lever and I could move the world. I am totally spoiled and can never get in a kayak except for white water.

Pretty cool trip. I did not have any issues with camp gear or the Sportsmobile. I have only to find a rear fender for an obsolete motorcycle.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:13 AM   #2

Re: Jackson Meadow

"Not Recommended" - awesome

Looks lovely to me, I like the quiet basic places like that. Thanks for the pictures!
Old 06-17-2013, 10:03 AM   #3

Garage

Somme really quite places. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Thanks for sharing.
Glad to share my pictures. It is lonely out here.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:40 PM   #5

Nice report!

And BTW, LOVE the bike. Looks like something Steve McQueen would ride.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_gendreau
LOVE the bike. Looks like something Steve McQueen would ride.
McQueen rode a WWII German bike in The Great Escape. However in On Any Sunday he along with Malcolm Smith and Mert Lowwill rode a Husqvarna with a red tank that looks a bit like mine. Now how do I know that? Well, during the trip to Sardine Lakes we were watching Masterpiece Theater and other stuffy things I recorded my wife would like and she asked me my favorite movie. I said On Any Sunday or Bruce Brown's other silly movie Endless Summer were most inspirational in forming my life. Having just been riding that is what came to mind. But it is probably true. I spent my life working in a recreation industry, skiing.

A friend is selling a more modern bike, a DRZ 400 and I am thinking of buying it. However my little Honda has some value. On the last ride it got a bit out of control and it is so small it just did a little crash by itself between my legs as I stood off it. Modern bikes, even 250s, are so tall I think I might have got hurt.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:24 AM   #7

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcnick
On Any Sunday or Bruce Brown's other silly movie Endless Summer.
Sacrilege. Take it back.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcnick
On Any Sunday or Bruce Brown's other silly movie Endless Summer.
Sacrilege. Take it back.
Best movie ever! I guess you know it. Remember the "Pig Farmer" in the Elsinor race? Billy lives up here. Rides the street on some super racing Honda, RC51 I think it is called. His brother races in vintage motorcross class on some BSA from the '60s.

Should I buy a DRZ 400 for dirt and Sportsmobile toad? I have been out of the bike seen for decades and have no idea what to do.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:35 PM   #9

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

The guy that burned down his bike with the signal fire was John Creed, then president of Chart House Restaurants, who I worked with. We still see Malcolm Smith from time to time in Baja.

Endless Summer, Five Summer Stories... the stuff I grew up with. Saw Honk in concert at Coach House in San Juan Capistrano a while back - called friends from the day and we all meet up there. Damn they are all old!

Dana Brown (Bruce's son) made Dust to Glory a few years ago about my current passion - racing Baja.

"With age comes a cage"; so I don't ride much any more. The DRZ400 looks pretty nice for the pricing.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile
"With age comes a cage"; so I don't ride much any more.
The fellow with the DRZ has gone to the cage. I have to guess many here are of our generation and still active because it takes money and time to have a Sportsmobile. It is good to read how many refuse to fade away, even if they traded the tent for a Sportsmobile. (The young of today couldn't even pronounce “dude” if it we not for us, and they lack the Zen of Malcolm Smith.)

My xcnick monicker is from hang gliding. (Cross Country Nick) I always wondered off as far as the clouds would take me even if it meant hitch hiking back to the car in the middle of the night. However riding off into the wilderness on a 30 year old motorcycle made me more nervous than most things I have done. I imagine many feel the same in their 4X$ Sportsmobiles. I will announce the next trip in hope of having some company.

A motorcycle proves to be a great toad even in an urban environment. Parking is so easy. The 200 is allowed on the highways, but I have to lay on the tank to go 55 and it won't carry a passenger. I hope the 400 will be a better toad.

What class do you race the Baja in?