Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2013, 11:42 AM   #1

Joshua Tree Geology Tour Road with 2WD ?

Going for Thanks Giving, Has anyone been one this road lately. Is it accessible by 2WD? Any other must see things in Joshua Tree?

Millerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:15 PM   #2

Re: Joshua Tree Geology Tour Road with 2WD ?

Never been but we are going the weekend before Christmas, just camping with the kids. Let me know how it was.
shadzima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:04 PM   #3

We did Geology Tour Road in the spring. They recommend 4x4 but I don't remember anything requiring 4x4 about the drive. Clearance is more help than 4x4. There are some sandy sections and a couple of mild off-camber parts but nothing challenging comes to mind. I'm pretty sure I've done it a couple times in the past without a 4x4 vehicle.

I've driven a lot of the regular dirt roads throughout the park - you shouldn't have a problem. There are a bunch of 4x4 off-road roads in the park that I haven't driven - the park service tends to give very cautious advice/warnings before driving those which makes it difficult to know whether they truly are difficult or just an overabundance of caution on NPS's part - but I know others on this forum have driven them.

Other than that see/hike as much of the park as possible. It is a great place - one of my favorites. Lunar landscapes, lots of rock scrambling, hiking, changing deserts, vistas. Even though a lot of people visit it still feels less crowded than other places. And even if the weather turns "bad" you might be treated to snow in the desert, which is amazing.

Have a great time.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:19 AM   #4

Garage

Taken right around this time of year back in 2004 in Joshua Tree. We fell asleep under starry skies and awoke to this.

Steve in L.A.